ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa curtailment notice - Graduate route

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix

lmclean08
Newly Registered
Mood:
Scotland

Re: Visa curtailment notice - Graduate route

Post by lmclean08 » Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:20 pm

vinny wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:39 am
Yes. But what is the definition of completing a course?
Unfortunately UKVI aren't keen to define this exactly - it's been a big issue since the introduction of the rule requiring students to complete study before switching to Skilled Worker and other routes. The most useful wording can be found in the Skilled Worker Caseworker Guidance but this only reflects how UKVI consider "completion" (i.e. has the course end date on CAS passed) rather than individual institutions.

The addition of the "successfully completed" definition for Graduate visa has only seemed to confuse matters further sadly. :roll:

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zxyzhgp » Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:32 pm

lmclean08 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:20 pm
vinny wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:39 am
Yes. But what is the definition of completing a course?
Unfortunately UKVI aren't keen to define this exactly - it's been a big issue since the introduction of the rule requiring students to complete study before switching to Skilled Worker and other routes. The most useful wording can be found in the Skilled Worker Caseworker Guidance but this only reflects how UKVI consider "completion" (i.e. has the course end date on CAS passed) rather than individual institutions.

The addition of the "successfully completed" definition for Graduate visa has only seemed to confuse matters further sadly. :roll:
I would say it is defined by Uni
At my uni, the step is : 1> students receive final results 2> uni report to UKVI 3> student account updated (course completion). There is even an app to show this official course completion(maybe not all uni)
So at least at my uni, the whole process is very clear without confusion and even mentions students cannot travel overseas until the result comes out for graduate visa

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:47 pm

Then, can this early completion timeframe be deliberately defined by the HEI?

Warwick University mentions:
Early Completion applies to Warwick sponsored Student Visa holders.

It means that you will be finishing your course more than two weeks before the expected course end date stated on your most recent used CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies).
Greenwich is not that clear on what constitutes (timescale) an early termination for them. Only make a vague reference to the UKVI timeframe for the curtailment.
Completing your studies early will likely lead to a reduction in the amount of time you will spend in the UK on a Student visa. This is because the university are obligated to report your early completion to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). After this, you will receive an earlier visa end date from UKVI. It isn't possible for the university to predict exactly when your visa will be cancelled and what the new expiry date will be. This is only revealed when UKVI take the cancellation action and write to you with these details. UKVI do not share this information with the university.

The Home Office advises if your visa is cancelled following early completion of studies and you travel abroad, or you are already outside the UK at the point of cancellation action, your Student visa will lapse and you will not be able to re-enter the UK on the same visa.
I am not sure whether this is specified anywhere in the Student/Graduate immigration rules, but I do agree that there's grounds for the OP to make a complaint, better including everyone affected by this situation.

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zxyzhgp » Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:59 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:47 pm
Then, can this early completion timeframe be deliberately defined by the HEI?

Warwick University mentions:
Early Completion applies to Warwick sponsored Student Visa holders.

It means that you will be finishing your course more than two weeks before the expected course end date stated on your most recent used CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies).
Greenwich is not that clear on what constitutes (timescale) an early termination for them. Only make a vague reference to the UKVI timeframe for the curtailment.
Completing your studies early will likely lead to a reduction in the amount of time you will spend in the UK on a Student visa. This is because the university are obligated to report your early completion to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). After this, you will receive an earlier visa end date from UKVI. It isn't possible for the university to predict exactly when your visa will be cancelled and what the new expiry date will be. This is only revealed when UKVI take the cancellation action and write to you with these details. UKVI do not share this information with the university.

The Home Office advises if your visa is cancelled following early completion of studies and you travel abroad, or you are already outside the UK at the point of cancellation action, your Student visa will lapse and you will not be able to re-enter the UK on the same visa.
I am not sure whether this is specified anywhere in the Student/Graduate immigration rules, but I do agree that there's grounds for the OP to make a complaint, better including everyone affected by this situation.
At warwick uni, if a student informs the uni that he wants to apply for the graduate visa prior to course completion. The report made by the uni to UKVI will not lead to visa curtailment
https://warwick.ac.uk/study/internation ... rtailment/

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:10 pm

Warwick’s Section 3 When might early completion apply? and Section 4: How can an Undergraduate student request early completion? are helpful examples.

@Yatish_Udeep Did any of these scenarios apply?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:28 pm

IMHO, if an early course completion was not due to the student’s breach of any conditions, nor work nor study conditions, then curtailing the student’s leave seems to be unreasonable.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Samuel1984
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Samuel1984 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:01 am

lmclean08 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:38 am
sah10406 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:41 am
zxyzhgp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:26 am
However, nearly all universities have that early completion section in their website to warn students
As they should. Early completion needs to be reported, and UKVI needs to act accordingly to curtail the leave.

My point and issue here is that the concept of "early completion" is not meant to be a blunt instrument that punishes someone like OP who by any reasonable judgement did not complete early at all. The UKVI guidance for sponsors about this matter that I quoted in an earlier comment above makes that very clear.

Greenwich seems to be using early completion reports not to record changes in a student's course, but to pointlessly tidy up their own extremely minor and irrelevant perceived errors with CAS end dates set years before. Plus, judging by the 60-day curtailment, they are not even making those reports correctly anyway.
The 60-day curtailment is being received by some students reported for early completion this year and it's unclear why this has changed. A few cases have been reported on the UKCISA forums too, despite the correct report reason being chosen.
Please can someone in the uk with curtailment visa eligible to apply for graduate route..thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:56 am

Samuel1984 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:01 am
can someone in the uk with curtailment visa eligible to apply for graduate route..
If they meet all the requirements, yes. The visa being curtailed has no specific relevance.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Samuel1984
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Samuel1984 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:10 am

Okay thanks for the information

Samuel1984
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Samuel1984 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:06 pm

Good day..since they have curtailed my students visa..if i want to create UKVI account for my graduate visa what date will i fill in for my BRP expire..thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:01 pm

Samuel1984 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:06 pm
since they have curtailed my students visa..if i want to create UKVI account for my graduate visa what date will i fill in for my BRP expire..
Whatever date it is has been curtailed to. You seem to be over-thinking this!
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Samuel1984
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Samuel1984 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:56 pm

Yes is really giving me concern

Yatish_Udeep
Newly Registered
India

Post by Yatish_Udeep » Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:22 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:28 pm
I think you should complain to the university, and make sure they understand the devastating collateral damage to you of their choice to report this matter, as someone who was outside the UK when they were suddenly told their visa was curtailed for "ending early".

Reporting to the Home Office that someone has completed their course early is normal and is required (see below), but usually it is only done when someone finishes significantly early, like a semester or a year early, and usually when it happens through their own choice to withdraw with a lower qualification, complete a PhD way ahead of schedule, etc. That is a totally different matter to your course ending exactly as planned, just that it happens to be a very short time before the end date the university quoted on your original CAS three years ago. As you say, as far as you were concerned you were completing as had always been planned.

There is more. Even when someone is legitimately reported for completing early and has their visa curtailed, they will still have the +4 months wrap-up period. The fact that your visa was curtailed to 60 days, not the normal +4 month wrap up time, suggests to me that you may have been reported wrongly as having withdrawn from the course, not completing early. This would not have helped someone like you who was outside the UK when the curtailment happened anyway, but as I say no report for early completion was even necessary.

The university may well say that there were following the Home Office's rules by reporting students who compete early. However, this is bogus. You can see from the Home Office's own guidance to universities on this matter (below) that there is no such rule, no need to report this matter, nor any realistic cause for concern about their CAS end date -- if that was the university's genuine concern. Of course, the "incorrect" CAS end date is nothing to do with you or any change to your course anyway.

This from the the Sponsor Guidance, document 2 "Sponsorship duties", paragraph 3.12. Note the text in red.

3.12 We recognise that sponsors’ academic schedules can change, and that it may therefore be difficult for you to pinpoint the end date of a course precisely when assigning a CAS. If changes to the academic timetable means that the student’s course finishes one or two weeks earlier or later 13 than the course end date given on the CAS, this will not be considered as non-compliance with sponsorship duties. However, if there is evidence that a sponsor repeatedly gives course end dates that are significantly later than students are expected to complete their studies, that will be considered to be a breach of sponsorship duties. Further, it may be considered best practice to continue to make SMS notifications on change of student circumstances where course end dates have changed within the two week range, as the course end date informs when a Student is permitted to switch into work routes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... r-guidance

Note that the last sentence suggests only that "it may be considered good practice" to report all early completions, not that it is a requirement to do so. It seems to me that the university's approach is fully focussed on protecting themselves against an unlikely accusation of using a wrong end date on your CAS, with no sense of proportion or reasonableness.

When choosing to report someone like you as if they have completed early, the university is neglecting the equally and in this situation more important "good practice" of showing a duty of care to students and being mindful of the consequences of their actions. In this case choosing to report you for "completing early", which you didn't even know you were doing, let alone choosing to do, you have been blocked from returning to the UK on your Student visa and from applying for the Graduate visa. These are devastating consequences of a thoughtless university policy -- or worse, someone's personal decision -- and the university needs to know the damage they have caused.

I assume that the international student advisers at Greenwich work in students' interest, not only in the university's interest, so you might want to raise this with them. If you make a formal complaint to the University, I would advise getting support from the Students Union and maybe getting a sense of how many people have been affected. As well as people like yourself who were outside the UK when this decision was made to make the report (hopefully not very many), others may be affected. For example, someone planning to apply for the Graduate visa but whose visa will now expire before they get their results, and so cannot apply.

You have no reason to follow or heed the advice of an anonymous contributor to this forum, and of course my response is based on me taking everything you have said at face value. It seems believable to me, if also shocking. Your university may have a different view of what has happened. Hopefully you can see that I feel strongly about this and that I seem to know what I am talking about! I do work in the higher education sector, and I think bad practice by sponsors should be called out.

I wish you well, and I hope you pursue this matter because you seem to have been done a real disservice. I disagree with the comment that says you took a risk by travelling when your course had already finished. You had no reasonable expectation that your visa would be curtailed, for all the reasons described above, and it is absolutely normal practice for students to travel and re-enter the UK after studies. It is provided for in the Student route caseworker guidance:

Students are able to travel outside of, and re-enter, the UK whilst they hold valid permission as a Student, including in the period after they have completed their course and still hold permission under the route.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dent-route > page 89
Thank you so much for all your detailed response.

I am sorry for the delayed reply. This situation has caused me significant mental distress.

I checked my emails again, and according to my results letter I completed the course by the 2nd week of June 2024.

Since my post, I have contacted a lawyer. The lawyer has advised me that the university should have warned me before reporting my course completion to the UKVI. As you correctly noted, universities typically provide early notification when someone finishes significantly early, such as a semester or a year ahead of schedule, and usually when it happens through the student's own choice to withdraw with a lower qualification.

Furthermore, my CAS statement, offer letter, and student status letter all stated my course end date as 30 June 2024. Therefore, I had no reason to believe that I was completing my studies earlier than expected.

I will be reporting this issue to both the OIA and UKVI.

I appreciate the community's support and insights as I navigate this challenging situation.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:50 am

I think the both the University’s and the UKVI’s actions maybe wrong.

Successfully completing the course about two weeks early is within acceptable limits.

The university has a duty to report successful course completion. However, if yours was a normal completion, then they shouldn’t report yours as a 3.12’s "change of circumstances".

If the UKVI curtails leave due to your early course completion, then the curtailment period should have been for 4 months and not 60 days.

Moreover, if you had 4 months or less leave on the date when receiving the curtailment decision, then they also should not have curtailed leave at all.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:22 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:50 am
I think the both the University's and the UKVI’s actions maybe wrong.
I agree, but I also wouldn't put it past OP's university to have messed up the report and reported for withdrawal rather than for ending early, which would make the +60 days curtailment correct.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:46 pm

Perhaps make a Subject Access Request with both the university and the UKVI to see the type of reporting, etc.?