ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Visa Lottery

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, Administrator

bexgal01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

US Visa Lottery

Post by bexgal01 » Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:23 pm

Hi,

I am looking at applying for the US Visa Lottery. I am a UK but not a UK-born citizen. I got my UK passport based on long residency in the UK. I see that UK citizens are allowed to apply for the US visa lottery. However, the application specifically stated that UK-born citizens can apply. Does that mean that anyone who is not UK-born but got UK citizenship by other means cannot apply? I could not find any info on this from any other site hence why I am here.

Thank you.

meself2
Ireland

Re: US Visa Lottery

Post by meself2 » Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:53 pm

The eligibility is based on where you were born, not your citizenship.

Assuming you and your spouse were born in disqualified countries and your parents were born in the same country you're from(eg India), you're unable to participate in DV lottery.

Read the FAQ: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/vi ... 20FAQs.pdf
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

bexgal01
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: US Visa Lottery

Post by bexgal01 » Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:26 pm

Ok, thank you for the info.