ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse naturalistion certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Cc2021
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse naturalistion certificate

Post by Cc2021 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:18 am

Hi..i am half way filling my wife's british citizenship application. There is a question its ask..
ITS YOUR PARTNER A NATURALISED BRITISH CITIZEN ? if i select YES to this question then its ask DATE and Citizenship certificate reference number!!
I took my naturalisation citizenship 2007 and i dont remember exact date or certificate reference number!!
CAN I SELECT THE OPTION "NO" instead of SELECT YES.
I am a british passport holder now. can i provide passport details instead of those naturalisation details ?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Spouse naturalistion certificate

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 9:53 am

You MUST retrieve your spouse's certificate and supply the details requested. That is the evidence your spouse is a British citizen, passport won't be enough. This document is EXTREMELY important and MUST be preserved securely. You can't apply for citizenship as a spouse of a British citizen without it.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Cc2021
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cc2021 » Mon May 20, 2024 12:15 pm

Hi...thank you for your reply..
If i select option NO then they dont ask the certificate reference number or date. Then mandatory document require Only british passport ?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 12:40 pm

Yes but you will need to prove 5 years of you being a resident in the UK as opposed to 3, having less than 450 days of absence in the last 5 years leading up to the application, as well as satisfying the future intentions requirement of staying in the UK.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Cc2021
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cc2021 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:28 pm

Ok.she received her ILR last week. Can she apply it now for her citizenship or have to wait 12months?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 3:42 pm

Not without the naturalisation certificate, which should urgently be retrieved and stored safely regardless.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon May 20, 2024 4:20 pm

Cc2021 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:18 am
Hi..i am half way filling my wife's british citizenship application. There is a question its ask..
ITS YOUR PARTNER A NATURALISED BRITISH CITIZEN ? if i select YES to this question then its ask DATE and Citizenship certificate reference number!!
I took my naturalisation citizenship 2007 and i dont remember exact date or certificate reference number!!
CAN I SELECT THE OPTION "NO" instead of SELECT YES.
I am a british passport holder now. can i provide passport details instead of those naturalisation details ?
The certificate is your evidence of British citizenship. The passport is just a travel document.

If you say NO, they'd attempt to find you on the database using name and dob. They departments might not be so linked or they could be too lazy to follow up. Or maybe it's just pure admin.

Advisable to find you certs or order for a new one.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Cc2021
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cc2021 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:42 pm

Mandatory documents checklist says...
ONE PROOF OF BRITISH CITIZENSHIP FOR SPOUSE (NAME) ( SUCH AS A PASSPORT OR UK CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATE ). Without a citizenship certificate you can not get a british passport in first place so i believe either document count as a british citizenship ?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:51 pm

Cc2021 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:42 pm
Without a citizenship certificate you can not get a british passport in first place
You can; for example, child born to a British parent can get a British passport based on their birth certificate (under certain conditions, but we're not going into that here).
Cc2021 wrote:
either document count as a british citizenship ?
Not necessarily.
See, for example, viewtopic.php?p=2100453#p2100453
A British passport is not definitive proof of British citizenship, only prima facie proof. And there have been a few cases when children who were already issued British passports in error were not issued renewals when they applied for renewal.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 1:06 am

Cc2021 wrote:
ONE PROOF OF BRITISH CITIZENSHIP FOR SPOUSE (NAME) ( SUCH AS A PASSPORT OR UK CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATE ). Without a citizenship certificate you can not get a british passport in first place so i believe either document count as a british citizenship ?
It doesn't matter if you provide the passport as an attachment; you are still required to provide date and certificate number for a naturalised partner. As you were told, a passport is a travel document and not proof of citizenship. You need to retrieve the certificate if you wish to apply ow under Section 6(2).

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue May 21, 2024 8:02 am

Cc2021 wrote:
Either does not serve as evidence of citizenship, naturalisation certificate is.