ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation query

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

naav

Naturalisation query

Post by naav » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:35 am

Hi. :)

Wonder if anyone knows about the following:

I intend to apply for my wife's naturalisation. She came in October 2005 and hasn't been absent from the UK since. She got her ILR in October 2008. I'm a British Citizen.

1. If she goes on holiday in December 2008 for a couple of months and applies for Naturalisation in March 2009, would the couple of months out of the UK count against her?

2. Can I apply for her Naturalisation without sending the original passports i.e. photocopy them, get them certified by a solicitor. post off the application this month and then she could go on holiday, at the same time, whilst the application is being processed?

Thanks. :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:19 am

She should apply at least a week before going on vacation. Best way is through the Nationality Checking Service - that way, you don't have to be separated from your passport.

If applying by post, they will also accept it if all pages of passport are certified by a solicitor.

naav

Post by naav » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 pm

A belated 'thank you' JAJ. :)

I was just about to send off my wife's Naturalisation form. Just to recap: she came to the UK around about October 2005, got her ILR in October 2008; no absences from the UK.

Could I please check the following:

1. Can I still use the same ESOL certificates along with Citizenship letter of confirmation from college for this application as I did for her ILR application?

2. My wife hasn't been able to attend further english classes as it was a struggle (due to us having a small baby) just to complete the ESOL/Citizenship course. Will her 'lack' of english effect her at any point in the Naturalisation process (e.g. the ceremony) and when she goes to apply for her passport. I'll be with her along the way but her lack of english makes me worried.

Thanks. :)

naav

Post by naav » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi everyone :)

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about my query.

Sorry, thanks. :)

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:57 am

1.I am not 100% sure, but when you apply for Nationality, a person should have moved onto a different level of ESOL from the one that they did when they applied for ILR.

2.I know of someone who had very basic understanding of English ( I would give him a mark of 4/10) and when he went to the Citizenship ceromony, all he had to do was to repeat the oath after the registrar. Took 2 minutes and got his certificate.

He then went with his wife for the passport interview, and whilst she did much of the talking, with her hubby butting in a few times, got his passport.

I am of the opinion that if they can speak and understand basic English words, they should be ok, but I would advise them to attend more classes or participate in activities where they can improve their English, because it is a neccesity living in the UK

naav

Post by naav » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:14 pm

Thank you. :)
1.I am not 100% sure, but when you apply for Nationality, a person should have moved onto a different level of ESOL from the one that they did when they applied for ILR.
I called and e-mailed them and was informed that the certificates and letter she got in the summer of 2008 would be acceptable for the application now.

Hopefully, it should be okay. :?

Thanks.