ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need both Life in the UK and ESOL?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bitterweb

Do I need both Life in the UK and ESOL?

Post by bitterweb » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm

The requirements say if you are not an English speaker then take ESOL and citizenship course. I'm not a native English speaker. Does that mean I can't simply take the Life in the UK test to apply for ILR? Do I have to take the courses?

I failed to get a definitive answer googling.

Many thanks!

winber

Post by winber » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 pm

You only have to do one of them. The Life in the UK test also serves as being an English test.

x-ray

Post by x-ray » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:36 pm

You do not have to be a native English speaker to take the life in the uk test, as long as you can speak English to a reasonable standard.

Taking the ESOL is only important if you have difficulty and do not understand english or your english is poor below ESOL level 3.

bitterweb

Post by bitterweb » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks guys!

Just think the wording of the requirements from UKBA is a bit ambiguous/misleading.