ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difficulty of Life in the UK test:

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RedMoon

Difficulty of Life in the UK test:

Post by RedMoon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me whether the questions of Life in the UK test are made do catch you out (or deliberately difficult) e.g. what was the population of the UK in say 1970 or questions about some really obscure, dates or dates of birth or names?

Also, do questions come proportionally to the 5 sections of the book (more or less x questions from each section) or is it an open pool allowing many questions to be from one section just by random chance?

The book seems to be difficult to learn from at places therefore I am concerned about the above.

Thanks for your help.

s1344678

Re: Difficulty of Life in the UK test:

Post by s1344678 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Try this life in the UK test

This is generally harder than the official test. The official test will not try to catch you out, but some sneaky questions do come up.

In my test there was a question what two things do you bring to a polling station:
1)Photoid
2)Proof of addrress
3)Your name
4)And some useless option

Basically what I'm saying is that there might be 1 sneaky question, but the rest were very easy. My test included the battle of aggincourt (which year, I think it was 1415 or something), other options would be 15-- 16-- 18-- and NOT 1415 1417 1419.

If you practise well you will pass first time, especially in the 2015, when the 3rd edition version makes so much more sense.

tereliye01
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tereliye01 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Practice all 48 tests from "http://www.theuktest.com/life-in-the-uk-test/1". Boosts your chances to pass in first attempt, at least 18-20 questions come from these practice tests (It was the case for me, my partner and couple of my friends who passed in 1st attempt). Having said that, I still recommend reading the book at least once (I did not read/buy the book myself though).

All the best,
Vaib

Samaralady

Post by Samaralady » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:01 pm

The test is very doable. There are some stupid questions (or at least when I did the test two years ago), like what is the percentage of Muslims in England and how many people live in Scotland, but the book prepares you for these questions. The others, that weren't in the book (I was shocked there were some!) are actually pretty common-sense. I wouldn't panic.
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“
Albert Einstein

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:12 pm

RedMoon wrote:Hi all,

Could anyone tell me whether the questions of Life in the UK test are made do catch you out (or deliberately difficult) e.g. what was the population of the UK in say 1970 or questions about some really obscure, dates or dates of birth or names?

Also, do questions come proportionally to the 5 sections of the book (more or less x questions from each section) or is it an open pool allowing many questions to be from one section just by random chance?

The book seems to be difficult to learn from at places therefore I am concerned about the above.

Thanks for your help.
I think I studied for half a week and was done in less than ten minutes, I remember 9:00 am test started and 9:10 I was out of centre with pass letter. You'll be fine is what I'm saying, good luck :)
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for your replies.

Any comment on this bit: Do questions come proportionally to the 5 sections of the book (more or less x questions from each section) or is it an open pool allowing many questions to be from one section just by random chance?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:47 am

My partner did it last year, said it was unbelievably easy.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Wanderer wrote:My partner did it last year, said it was unbelievably easy.
As long as you read the book once or twice (I have read twice + another cursory reading a couple of days before the test, but that's just because my previous two reads were way before the test), it is indeed incredibly easy. You don't more than 5 minutes to answer all 24 questions with calm.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:23 pm

I found free mock tests on internet helpful.
I am sometimes wrong.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Can the questions be concentrated on one, difficult section of the book? -say history? Or they come up more or less proportionally?

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:28 pm

They come proportionally.
I am sometimes wrong.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Oh, that's brilliant.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Does anyone know some good notes/extracts available online? Say estracting dates and names etc.

I can't seem to find anything reasonable.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Read the book thoroughly, do lots and lots of practice tests and write the test. It really is not that hard.

On the day you do the test, the system will automatically generate the questions. So in effect, the person sitting next to you will have different questions to what you get.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.