ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents Required for Foreign Birth by Maternal Gransmother

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

joeegan
Newly Registered

Documents Required for Foreign Birth by Maternal Gransmother

Post by joeegan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:57 am

Hello!

I'm so glad to have found this community.

I am a U.S. citizen. My grandmother was born In Limerick in 1906 and got married in New York. I'm really lost as to the documents that will be required (mots of conflicting info online).

I'm pretty sure I need all of these:

- Grandmother's birth certificate.
- Grandmother's marriage certificate.
- Mother's birth Certificate
- Mother's marriage certificate
- My long form birth certificate
- Copy of my passport.

Questions

1. Do I need to present my grandmother's death certificate? Are there other documents I need to obtain?

2. I live in New York. Do new copies from City Hall qualify as "original"?

3. I'm not in love with the idea of mailing original documents. Will the consulate office approve copies if they're presented along side the originals?

4. My mother is not an Irish citizen. She never applied for citizenship. Does that have any bearing on anything.

Thank you!!!!!!!

mumairsharif

Re: Documents Required for Foreign Birth by Maternal Gransmo

Post by mumairsharif » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:38 pm

You mother is an Irish citizen.

She the link for detailed information.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Hello Joe! I also found this community to be a great resource!! I filed earlier this year, and I can try to answer a few of your questions.

1. Yes, you need to send in either the death certificate (if dead), or a notarized identification for your grandmother and mother. If you're getting certificates from the NY office of vital records, those typically come certified. You also need a notarized copy of your own ID.

2. Yes. You may have an option on some forms. And if you have to pull birth certificates, always get the long form - for you, your mom, and grandmother. My documents from NYC all came with an attached authentication.

3. You have to mail all the documents to Ireland. I don't think any of the U.S. Consulates are processing FBRs. I know it seems shady, and I was hesitant too. I sent it all in via DHL, and they sent me everything back.

4. Your mother is an Irish citizen. If she wanted to, she could go to the consulate and apply for a passport. Just as any child you have would be an American citizen.

Good luck!! I'm happy to try to answer any other questions you have.

joeegan
Newly Registered

Post by joeegan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks for the terrific response.

I actually have my grandmother's Irish birth certificate (1906!) -- so that's one hurdle I don't need to pass.

My parents have been married over 50 years. My understanding is that things like birth, death, and marriage certificate are public record after 50 years.

So if that's the case, how likely is it that I can just walk into City Hall and order up copies of everything else I need?

My other question: did you just send them your birth certificate? Or did you also send them you passport? (In which case I assume you had to order a new one to send to them.

This is the list of docs I understand I'll need to send to Ireland. If you think I'm missing something or am wrong about anything, please let me know.

Grandmother's birth certificate
Grandmother's marriage certificate
Grandmother's death certificate
Mother's birth certificate
Mother's wedding certificate
Mother's notarized identification (not totally clear what this is)
Two passport photos
My passport
My birth certificate

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:00 am

Yah, of course!!

Super that you have your grandmother's birth certificate. I had to hunt my grandfather's down in Ireland, and I learned he was born in a different county than we all thought.

If I recall correctly, the death certificate was in a different office than the marriage certificate. And I did it all online, so I don't know if you can just go to city hall =/
joeegan wrote:My other question: did you just send them your birth certificate? Or did you also send them you passport? (In which case I assume you had to order a new one to send to them.

This is the list of docs I understand I'll need to send to Ireland. If you think I'm missing something or am wrong about anything, please let me know.

Grandmother's birth certificate
Grandmother's marriage certificate
Grandmother's death certificate
Mother's birth certificate
Mother's wedding certificate
Mother's notarized identification (not totally clear what this is)
Two passport photos
My passport
My birth certificate
I sent them my original long form birth certificate and a notarized copy of my state driver's license - a notarized copy of my passport probably would have worked too. Don't send them your actual passport - just a copy that has been certified by a notary.

For a notarized copy, take your ID, passport, whatever, to a notary, they usually have one at larger bank branches or at UPS Stores. Tell the notary you need a certified copy of your ID. He or she will make a copy, and attest (with a stamp and signature) that the ID is real, and it's you. In the case of my father's ID, he got it notarized and then sent it to me.

Below is the the site you'll use to apply, they also provide a list of required documents. You'll have to send in two bills or statement with your name and address on them as well. I used my power bill and a statement from my health insurance.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... ign-birth/

joeegan
Newly Registered

Post by joeegan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:09 pm

This is great, thanks!

I was really unsure about the ID part. A notarized copy is so much easier to obtain than an actual passport duplicate.

Cheers.