ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First passport application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abundantbee
Newly Registered

First passport application

Post by abundantbee » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm

My husband recently got his FBR and is now in a position to apply for his passport. He is totally blind and is therefore unable to sign his application. Does anyone know what he can do in these circumstances? We emailed the passport office about this a few months ago and again more recently, but still had no response. If anyone knows what to do in these circumstances I'd be really grateful. Thanks.

pukon_check

Re: First passport application

Post by pukon_check » Wed May 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Is ur husband got citizenship in Ireland?
If so you use ur twitter account in the Irish passport website they respond quick further more book an appointment with passport they provide special support in this kind of case ..
Hope it helps ..

o365

Post by o365 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi As per passport form section 8 if one cannot sign a guardian can sign on hie/her behalf
hope this helps

thanks

zepman
Mood:
Ireland

Post by zepman » Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 am

o365 wrote:Hi As per passport form section 8 if one cannot sign a guardian can sign on hie/her behalf
hope this helps

thanks
This!

The signature box on the right-hand side in Section 8 is probably what you should be using to sign on his behalf. I would check with the passport office to confirm this. As suggested, they might be more responsive if you ask them on Twitter.

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Post by abundantbee » Thu May 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've tried asking on Twitter, as suggested, and received no response. There's still no response to emails either. I'm sure my husband can't be the only blind person who's wanted to apply for an Irish passport. I hope we get some sort of response from them soon.

pukon_check

Post by pukon_check » Thu May 11, 2017 3:44 pm

If you do not hear from them in time you can book an appointment with passport office..
Will be more efficient..

o365

Post by o365 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:44 pm

i think as this is the only section where applicant need to sign off and in the presence of gardii so the best
option i would suggest is to fill the form yourself take the required docs to your garda station they will assist you and get you sign.
then you can submit your application through express post

hope it helps

zepman
Mood:
Ireland

Post by zepman » Thu May 11, 2017 5:36 pm

pukon_check wrote:If you do not hear from them in time you can book an appointment with passport office..
Will be more efficient..
At the appointment they would be expected to have the application signed and witnessed already. So, they will be sent back (might get an answer to their question though).
o365 wrote:i think as this is the only section where applicant need to sign off and in the presence of gardii so the best
option i would suggest is to fill the form yourself take the required docs to your garda station they will assist you and get you sign.
then you can submit your application through express post

hope it helps
Agree with this. If you are not getting any response from them, just go to the Garda station with everything ready. They would probably have dealt with other applicants in the same situation and would help you.

It is kind of surprising that there is no specific information on the application form/DFA website (I looked) on what to do in situations like this!

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Post by abundantbee » Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 am

I finally got an answer to my question, so I'm sharing it in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation. Basically he has to be guided to make his mark in the box where you would normally sign, as he's obviously over 18, and we have to include a letter saying why he couldn't sign. Hope this is helpful for anyone else who needs it.

zepman
Mood:
Ireland

Post by zepman » Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 pm

abundantbee wrote:I finally got an answer to my question, so I'm sharing it in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation. Basically he has to be guided to make his mark in the box where you would normally sign, as he's obviously over 18, and we have to include a letter saying why he couldn't sign. Hope this is helpful for anyone else who needs it.
That is indeed going to be helpful, since it has turned out that none of the advice we gave you was correct. Cheers for returning to post it! They really need to put that kind of information on the official website.