ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residency Card for unmarried couple under EEA application route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mims12
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Permanent Residency Card for unmarried couple under EEA application route

Post by Mims12 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi everyone!
I hope you are able to advise on our situation and help us decide what to do and when.
My partner is a non-EU national on an EEA residency card expiring in February 2020. We have however, lived together as an unmarried couple since, September 2013, on which basis he got the EEA residency card at the first place. I was wondering whether he can apply for permanent residency now, since we have lived together 5 years or he will need to wait for his residency card to expire in 2020. Has anyone in a similar situation applied? If so, what was the response you had?
Any advise will be highly appreciated!

Jimmybones100

Re: Permanent Residency Card for unmarried couple under EEA application route

Post by Jimmybones100 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:10 pm

It used to be like that but now they have changed the laws again,he has to finish the 5 years before applying,my friend tries to do it and they sent his application back saying he needs to wait for the 5 years to expire first .

at12

Post by at12 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:15 pm

As above, the clock only starts from the moment the Home Office accepts the evidence that you are in a relationship akin to marriage. This is the start date of your partner's residence permit.

Mims12
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by Mims12 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Thank you all for the responses. This is what we thought as well but felt we had to double check, so we are not missing out on opportunity to sort this out earlier.