ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitors visa for baby born abroad to UK parents

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BaconSammich
Newly Registered
South Africa

Visitors visa for baby born abroad to UK parents

Post by BaconSammich » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:06 pm

Hi there

My wife (a British national by birth, born in the UK) and myself (South African by birth, born in SA but naturalised as British) live abroad in South Africa.
We have a 1 year old baby with a South African passport and will be visiting the UK in September.

We now need to decide if we should try to apply for our baby's British Passport before this trip, or try to apply for a visitors visa on his South African passport.

I have been told by a friend (so not sure if it is truly reliable) that there will be issues trying to apply for a visitors visa since he is eligible for a British passport, does anyone know if this is true?

On the flip side, there is a ~5 week strike in the passport office as far as I understand, and assume that passport applications can take some time.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Visitors visa for baby born abroad to UK parents

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:36 pm

I have been told by a friend (so not sure if it is truly reliable) that there will be issues trying to apply for a visitors visa since he is eligible for a British passport, does anyone know if this is true?
Your friend is correct. A British citizen cannot be granted a visa as they are no subject to immigration control. Your child is British by descent.
On the flip side, there is a ~5 week strike in the passport office as far as I understand, and assume that passport applications can take some time.
Apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode. Costs more than a passport and will be valid as long as the SA passport is valid.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BaconSammich
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Visitors visa for baby born abroad to UK parents

Post by BaconSammich » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:59 am

Thank you very much, I will look into this Certificate of Entitlement.