ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa options for couple not living together / never lived together and not married

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Robstin2014
United States of America

Spouse Visa options for couple not living together / never lived together and not married

Post by Robstin2014 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:04 am

Hi,

My brother (British Citizen) has been in a relationship with a French Citizen for more than two years and they are exploring ways to settle together within the same country.

I see that on the Gov website this additional option has been added (since my wife applied for the Spouse Visa in 2019):

'you’ve been in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply but you cannot live together, for example because you’re working or studying in different places, or it’s not accepted in your culture'

Would this apply to my Brother and his girlfriend as they have not been able to live together due to immigration restrictions, not having visas in each others countries etc. They have visited each other 15+ times.

How would they prove their relationship? Photos? Plane tickets?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Robstin2014
United States of America

Re: Spouse Visa options for couple not living together / never lived together and not married

Post by Robstin2014 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 am

Hi, could anyone please help?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse Visa options for couple not living together / never lived together and not married

Post by Ticktack » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:54 am

Are they intending to get married? Having a girlfriend in a foreign country doesn't count for much.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Robstin2014
United States of America

Post by Robstin2014 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:53 pm

Not any time soon from what I understand...

They visit each other pretty much every 2-3 weeks but are looking to settle down together.

Would the wording which I included in my original post not apply to them?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:37 pm

No.
There are no restrictions to either of them in the stated countries that would qualify.
If one of them wants to move to the other country for work or study to start living together that would be a solution.