ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After Brexit - rules for family members visiting the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Daisy321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

After Brexit - rules for family members visiting the UK

Post by Daisy321 » Wed May 01, 2024 7:37 pm

Good evening,

Im very sorry if this topic was already covered but I can’t manage to find any info. Please, can you answer questions and point me into a right docs on government site?

Im dual national - Polish and British living and working in the UK for years now.
I would like my polish mum to come over to the UK to visit and help with child care. I would provide accommodation and cover all expenses for mum while she is staying here.

1. After Brexit what is the longest period for polish citizens to stay in the UK without applying for visa? Is it a continuos time of 6 months?

2. If wanting to stay for longer than visa free period, whats the requirement/cost of visa and if this is easy to obtain for family member who is not planning to come to the UK to work but to visit and help with kids?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: After Brexit - rules for family members visiting the UK

Post by CR001 » Wed May 01, 2024 8:36 pm

I would like my polish mum to come over to the UK to visit and help with child care.

This is working, which is NOT permitted as a visitor visa holder in the UK.
1. After Brexit what is the longest period for polish citizens to stay in the UK without applying for visa? Is it a continuos time of 6 months?
The longest she can stay is 6 months as a visitor, but 6 months is not a visit, it is residing under the guise of a visitor visa.
2. If wanting to stay for longer than visa free period, whats the requirement/cost of visa and if this is easy to obtain for family member who is not planning to come to the UK to work but to visit and help with kids?
Child care, even for family, is considered work and strictly not permitted as a visitor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Daisy321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daisy321 » Wed May 01, 2024 8:40 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

Where can I find info on “ Child care, even for family, is considered work and strictly not permitted as a visitor.”

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 01, 2024 8:48 pm

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor
You cannot:

* do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person, unless you’re doing a permitted paid engagement or event
* claim public funds (benefits)
* live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent or successive visits
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... -v-visitor

Child care is work, doesn't matter how you look at it. Your mother not getting paid a salary, doesn't mean it is not work.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Daisy321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daisy321 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:56 am

Ok, many thanks for the link.

1. I understand if she was about to come only for a family visit she can stay up to 6 months without visa?

2. If she was about to come to help with kids she would have to apply for working visa? Do you have a link for it, so I can check it up?
But I have heard to be granted a visa now you need to prove you will be earning whatever government set as a minimum wage, so in this case - are we failing this criteria as mum won’t get any salary? Im confused here. Do I even have a chance for this visa?

Thanks for your time.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 am

Daisy321 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:56 am
Ok, many thanks for the link.

1. I understand if she was about to come only for a family visit she can stay up to 6 months without visa?
Yes - if visitor is a non-visa national. Non-visa nationals must still abide by all rules of visitor visas, for example no work. May be asked at the border about purpose of trip, return ticket, etc.

2. If she was about to come to help with kids she would have to apply for working visa? Do you have a link for it, so I can check it up?
Home Office doesn't publish detailed guidance for all manner of scenarios. And there are no specific visas for child care.

But I have heard to be granted a visa now you need to prove you will be earning whatever government set as a minimum wage, so in this case - are we failing this criteria as mum won’t get any salary? Im confused here. Do I even have a chance for this visa?
These rules relate to spouse/partner visas (to settle in the UK) and work visa (sponsored by companies).

Thanks for your time.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Daisy321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daisy321 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:37 am

Thank you.

Home Office doesn't publish detailed guidance for all manner of scenarios. And there are no specific visas for child care.

Where do I look for visa application for EU nationals, please?

Many thanks.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu May 02, 2024 11:03 am

There's a site where someone wanting to come to the UK can see if they need a visa and what type of visa depending on their purposes.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Applying for a visit visa to bring parents (or grandparents) to look after children have been discussed extensively on this forum. We've seen that literally every application sent with that as the reason of the visit is denied. Traditionally it's common to have some help from other family members when raising kids, but that's a form of work (nanny or domestic worker) for immigration purposes and it's seen as such by UKVI. That's not allowed as a visitor as commented, it applies equally to visitors with a visa and non-visa nationals, like EU citizens.