ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation questions - Married to British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jimmycmrt2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation questions - Married to British citizen

Post by jimmycmrt2 » Thu May 30, 2024 8:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope you are well.

Next month I'll be applying for the ILR and I hope to use the super priority service, so I can get an answer very soon.
Is it okay to use the same documents I used for the ILR for the naturalisation? My main concern is most are dated the end of May. And I'll apply for the naturalisation around the end of June.

Moreover, as a spouse of a British citizen, do I have to provide my past 3 years of address, instead of 5 years?

And regarding the proof of income, is 6 months enough and as such I could use the same letters I got for the ILR from my company?

Thank you so much in advance!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Naturalisation questions - Married to British citizen

Post by contorted_svy » Thu May 30, 2024 8:14 pm

jimmycmrt2 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:05 pm
Hi everyone,

I hope you are well.

Next month I'll be applying for the ILR and I hope to use the super priority service, so I can get an answer very soon.
Is it okay to use the same documents I used for the ILR for the naturalisation? My main concern is most are dated the end of May. And I'll apply for the naturalisation around the end of June. Yes, though you will need also referee letters. If your passport gets stamped when you enter the UK that will be enough to prove your residence. Keep in mind that ILR and citizenship are entirely separate process under different pieces of legislation and therefore you won't need the same documents.

Moreover, as a spouse of a British citizen, do I have to provide my past 3 years of address, instead of 5 years? Yes.

And regarding the proof of income, is 6 months enough and as such I could use the same letters I got for the ILR from my company? Not needed for naturalisation.

Thank you so much in advance!

Make sure you review the guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... #bookmark1 . The documents you are likely to need are proof knowledge of the English language, your ILR BRP (or proof you have ILR), life in the UK test reference number, your passport or other proof of residence for the last 3 years, your spouse's proof of British citizenship plus your marriage certificate.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

jimmycmrt2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jimmycmrt2 » Thu May 30, 2024 8:19 pm

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. You made it sound quite simple, so I'm already stressing out less about it.

Just regarding the proof of British citizenship, would the first page of his British passport be enough?

And my passport used to get stamped, but 2 years ago I got registered traveller status in the UK, so I stopped being stamped back in the UK. Could I then perhaps submit a spreadsheet with the dates of my leisure travels? They are all short trips and I'd have the stamp out of the countries, just wouldn't have the ones back in the UK.

Thank you again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu May 30, 2024 9:20 pm

jimmycmrt2 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:19 pm
Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. You made it sound quite simple, so I'm already stressing out less about it.

Just regarding the proof of British citizenship, would the first page of his British passport be enough? If he naturalised, you need to submit his naturalisation certificate, else biometrics page of his passport will be enough

And my passport used to get stamped, but 2 years ago I got registered traveller status in the UK, so I stopped being stamped back in the UK. Could I then perhaps submit a spreadsheet with the dates of my leisure travels? They are all short trips and I'd have the stamp out of the countries, just wouldn't have the ones back in the UK. Probably best to submit other proof of residence, I am not familiar with registered traveller status. You can submit P60s, letters from employers, letters from government bodies, or request a SAR with borders to prove you resided in the country for the last 3 years. You will need all dates of trips for the online application. I suggest you create an online application and start going through all the questions to put together all the info you will need.

Thank you again!
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

jimmycmrt2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jimmycmrt2 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:55 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 9:20 pm
jimmycmrt2 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:19 pm
Hi,

Just regarding the proof of British citizenship, would the first page of his British passport be enough? If he naturalised, you need to submit his naturalisation certificate, else biometrics page of his passport will be enough

And my passport used to get stamped, but 2 years ago I got registered traveller status in the UK, so I stopped being stamped back in the UK. Could I then perhaps submit a spreadsheet with the dates of my leisure travels? They are all short trips and I'd have the stamp out of the countries, just wouldn't have the ones back in the UK. Probably best to submit other proof of residence, I am not familiar with registered traveller status. You can submit P60s, letters from employers, letters from government bodies, or request a SAR with borders to prove you resided in the country for the last 3 years. You will need all dates of trips for the online application. I suggest you create an online application and start going through all the questions to put together all the info you will need.

Thank you again!
Thank you so much for explaining this! By the SAR document, they mention they have 3 options: basic, detailed and specific. Is the one you mentioned the basic one?
I have P60s for the past 2.5 years, but unfortunately not for 3 years. Would perhaps correspondences for every quarter for the past 3 years work too?

Thanks again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:07 pm

If you request a detailed SAR specifying you want information about when you crossed the border that will be enough, no need for other evidence.

jimmycmrt2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jimmycmrt2 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:02 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:07 pm
If you request a detailed SAR specifying you want information about when you crossed the border that will be enough, no need for other evidence.

Thank you so much! I've done as you instructed - that was so helpful!

The only thing is I saw it counts as a UKVI application, I hope it is okay to have submitted it as I have an ILR application in progress, so I wondered if having two requests open is fine. Although I hope so, as they are completely different requests/processes.

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:10 pm

SAR is not an immigration application! It's a Freedom of Information request under UK law, it's your legal right and cannot interfere with an actual immigration application (or held against you!).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

jimmycmrt2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jimmycmrt2 » Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:21 pm

That makes sense, thank you!!

I did get my SARU after 3 weeks of requesting and it seems like it has everything I need.

I just have a final question now regarding the referees. My photo was attached to the referee form I sent to both of them. However, one of them printed the PDF with the photo and re-scanned again but the photo got blurry / low quality. So I thought I could just attach the photo digitally on top again.
Of course I know the referee and he signed it, so it is all legit. But is it a problem to re-attach the photo on top digitally? Am I being too paranoid for worrying over this?

Thank you!!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:25 pm

The photograph is there for the referee to look at - it's not used for any other purpose.
Overthinking?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:36 am

jimmycmrt2 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:21 pm
That makes sense, thank you!!

I did get my SARU after 3 weeks of requesting and it seems like it has everything I need.

I just have a final question now regarding the referees. My photo was attached to the referee form I sent to both of them. However, one of them printed the PDF with the photo and re-scanned again but the photo got blurry / low quality. So I thought I could just attach the photo digitally on top again.
Of course I know the referee and he signed it, so it is all legit. But is it a problem to re-attach the photo on top digitally? Am I being too paranoid for worrying over this?

Thank you!!
you will be OK. you can put your picture on top if it got blurry.