ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application - rolling tenancy

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Selina001
United Kingdom

ILR application - rolling tenancy

Post by Selina001 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:14 am

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before.

My partner is on the 5-year route, and the last 2.5 years will be completed next year, meaning we will be applying for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain).

Everything has been going smoothly, but our tenancy agreement ends on 06/07/2024. We have decided to move to a rolling contract as we search for house.

Our landlady has informed us that the current agreement will simply lapse, and we won’t receive a new contract to indicate the transition to a rolling contract.

My concern is whether this arrangement will be accepted when we apply for ILR. I have requested a new contract stating the rolling status and, upon our departure, a letter confirming our residency dates.

Would this be acceptable?

Please advise.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR application - rolling tenancy

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:40 am

My concern is whether this arrangement will be accepted when we apply for ILR.

Yes. There is no law that says you must have a new signed tenancy agreement each time the last one runs out.
I have requested a new contract stating the rolling status and,

You are contradicting yourself here. You cannot ask for a contract to state a rolling month status. Rolling month simply extends the tenancy agreements existing conditions but with no fixed start and end date.
upon our departure, a letter confirming our residency dates.
This is not required.
You are overthinking.

You are required to provide a selection of evidence proving cohabitation in both your names. Plan accordingly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Selina001
United Kingdom

Post by Selina001 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:02 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:40 am
My concern is whether this arrangement will be accepted when we apply for ILR.

Yes. There is no law that says you must have a new signed tenancy agreement each time the last one runs out.
I have requested a new contract stating the rolling status and,

You are contradicting yourself here. You cannot ask for a contract to state a rolling month status. Rolling month simply extends the tenancy agreements existing conditions but with no fixed start and end date.
upon our departure, a letter confirming our residency dates.
This is not required.
You are overthinking.

You are required to provide a selection of evidence proving cohabitation in both your names. Plan accordingly.
Sure - thank you for this.
It makes sense - we will have bills etc. to prove where we were living anyway but I was just under the impression that it would be an issue if we have no contract/written confirmation of staying at the flat when out of contract.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:11 am

That's not an issue at all.

Many immigrants are or have lived on rolling basis tenancies and it doesn't have any impact on immigration applications, etc.

When moving to a different place/council, you must register with the dates you started living in the new place, etc. Don't need anything from a previous landlord.

Selina001
United Kingdom

Post by Selina001 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:43 pm

Thank you, everyone.

I'm a bit confused because in the previous two applications, we were required to submit tenancy agreements along with bills addressed to us.

Our current contract expires on July 6th, so we won't have an active agreement after that date. My question is, if we purchase a house or move to a new rental, will the application still require us to have a tenancy agreement for the period between July 6th and when we move into the new place?

Sorry if I am thinking about it too much but I know that proof of living together is a huge requirement and we don't want to have issues at the last hurdle (ILR application)

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:47 pm

There is no period. For proof of adequate accommodation you need:
The applicant should provide evidence as to the basis on which the accommodation
is or will be owned or occupied (including rented) by the family unit
. This may for
example be in the form of a copy of the property deeds, a letter from a bank or
building society as to the mortgage arrangements, a lease agreement and rent book,
or a letter from a family member or friend who is making the accommodation
available to the applicant and their family unit.
For cohabitation evidence: All you need to know about cohabitation evidence
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Selina001
United Kingdom

Post by Selina001 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:20 pm

zimba wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:47 pm
There is no period. For proof of adequate accommodation you need:
The applicant should provide evidence as to the basis on which the accommodation
is or will be owned or occupied (including rented) by the family unit
. This may for
example be in the form of a copy of the property deeds, a letter from a bank or
building society as to the mortgage arrangements, a lease agreement and rent book,
or a letter from a family member or friend who is making the accommodation
available to the applicant and their family unit.
For cohabitation evidence: All you need to know about cohabitation evidence
aha I see, thanks for this. I will give that a read.
Just wanted to make sure as it is better to know now than come August next year and panic