ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minor Naturalisation Appication Refused

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DJ20
Newly Registered
England

Minor Naturalisation Appication Refused

Post by DJ20 » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:00 pm

Hi,
Can anyone please help/advice regarding my 7yr old sons naturalisation application being refused.
He was born in India and have been living in the uk for last 6 yrs. Applied for naturalisation along with my naturalisation application (my decision still pending), he doesn’t have settled status but me and my wife both have settled status and my other daughter is British citizen as she was born here. I had ILR granted in 2019 and wife’s was granted jan 2023.
His dependent visa expired last January.
Following is the exact response from case worker:
“He does not meet this criteria because:
He is not settled in the UK
He has not been granted settled status in the UK, and/or held settled status for at least 12 months
is not in the UK lawfully
He has only lived in the UK for 6 years
I have considered whether there are grounds to exercise discretion to register your son as a British Citizen; however, I am not satisfied there are sufficient grounds to do so. Although your son has resided in the United Kingdom since May 2018, none of the usual expectations have been met.
No mitigation has been submitted to explain why he requires British Citizenship now and there appear to be no exceptional circumstances to justify registration at this time. Therefore, your child’s application is refused.”
Any chance of success if I go for application reconsideration?
And also what should I do next?
Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Minor Naturalisation Appication Refused

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:07 pm

Does your child have a valid visa? Child is expected to hold ILR under the circumstances you outlined so you need to wait until child is eligible and apply for ILR.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

DJ20
Newly Registered
England

Post by DJ20 » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:10 pm

No, his visa has expired. I was advised by a solicitor that he can apply for naturalisation along with me and will be granted same and not to waste money on ILR which was significantly more than naturalisation fee.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:15 pm

You were wrongly advised unfortunately. Child needs to secure ILR status before being eligible for registration.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

DJ20
Newly Registered
England

Post by DJ20 » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:43 pm

Oh ok, would the ILR application be declined that his visa is expired?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:59 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.