ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK dependant Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Karrar
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iraq

UK dependant Visa

Post by Karrar » Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:25 pm

I am a medical student in my fifth year (final year) studying in the UK. I have been married for two years and want to bring my wife to the UK as a dependant. However, on the UKGov website, it says that on of the requirements is to have a postgrad (RQF level 7 or above)or PhD degree in order to apply for a dependant visa.
I am confused as my course is RQF level 7 but it is undergraduate. I hope you can clarify this and indicate if I am eligible to apply for a dependent visa.

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK dependant Visa

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:28 pm

What visa do you hold?

Are you on a Student Visa?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Karrar
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iraq

Post by Karrar » Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:00 pm

Thank you for your response.

I hold a Tier 4 Visa.

Thanks.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:00 am

Karrar wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:25 pm
on the UKGov website, it says that on of the requirements is to have a postgrad (RQF level 7 or above)or PhD degree in order to apply for a dependant visa.
Karrar wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:25 pm
I am confused as my course is RQF level 7 but it is undergraduate. I hope you can clarify this and indicate if I am eligible to apply for a dependent visa.
The rule says, at Appendix Student paragraph ST 31.1(b):

[The] applicant must be the partner or child of a person who is [...] a full-time Student who has [...] permission to study a postgraduate level course of 9 months or longer at a higher education provider with a track record of compliance [...]

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ix-student

"Postgraduate level" study is defined in paragraph 6.2 of the immigration rules:

“Postgraduate level study” means a course at level 7 or above of the Regulated Qualifications Framework, or level 11 or above of the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework, which leads to a recognised UK postgraduate degree at master’s level or above, or an equivalent qualification at the same level.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... troduction

Hence as an undergraduate, not postgraduate, no you are not eligible to bring dependents.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Karrar
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iraq

Post by Karrar » Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:20 pm

Your response is much appreciated.

I thought medicine might be an exception as it is an RQF 7 and last for around 5 years.

What can I do then to bring my wife to the UK till I finish my course? Is there any other way or a different type of visa?

As you might know this situation can be very stressful and overwhelming.

Thank you for your help.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:04 am

Karrar wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:20 pm
I thought medicine might be an exception as it is an RQF 7 and last for around 5 years.
Not sure where you got that idea. The only undergraduates who can bring dependants are those who are government-funded.
Karrar wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:20 pm
What can I do then to bring my wife to the UK till I finish my course? Is there any other way or a different type of visa?
No. She would need to be eligible for a work or study visa in her own right. If you switch to a Skilled worker visa, she can join you then. Meanwhile, she can come for genuine short visits, although she would probably need good evidence that she is genuine, not trying to live with you on visitor visas.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.