ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renunciation of Indian Citizenship

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bharatuppala
Newly Registered

Renunciation of Indian Citizenship

Post by bharatuppala » Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:12 pm

Hi all,

At my surrender appointment this morning I was told that renunciation process is suspended and is no longer needed for OCI. He says the decision was taken last Friday.

Can anyone confirm??

sathyauk
India

Re: Renunciation of Indian Citizenship

Post by sathyauk » Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:12 pm

bharatuppala wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:12 pm
Hi all,

At my surrender appointment this morning I was told that renunciation process is suspended and is no longer needed for OCI. He says the decision was taken last Friday.

Can anyone confirm??
You are right. I checked with Birmingham VFS, they confirmed RC is suspended for time being and for OCI they dont need RC

Zrl100
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zrl100 » Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:14 pm

Hi bharatuppala,
I'm due to get my first UK Passport delivered in a few days & would've needed to do this surrender & renunciation process in order to apply for oci card after.
So what is the process now? Do you still have to pay/apply for the RC process or that whole thing has been deleted as a step during the application process? Excuse my ignorance...but I'm only just beginning to look into doing this. Any guidance would be helpful. Cheers!

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:41 pm

Hi Zrl100,
The rule was introduced back in Sep2023, after that many minor children are affected due to this rule, so Indian commission has decided to suspend RC currently, so don't need to apply or pay for RC.

1. Surrender you Indian passport
2. Once you get your surrender certificate you can straight away apply for OCI

bharatuppala
Newly Registered

Post by bharatuppala » Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:41 pm

Thank you. I also emailed HCI London for confirmation and waiting for their response.
sathyauk wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:12 pm
bharatuppala wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:12 pm
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm??
You are right. I checked with Birmingham VFS, they confirmed RC is suspended for time being and for OCI they dont need RC

bharatuppala
Newly Registered

Post by bharatuppala » Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:46 pm

If an applicant has already been issued a naturalisation certificate/ passport by another country, the applicant loses his Indian Citizenship with immediate effect and hence is ineligible to apply for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship under Section 8 of the Indian Citizenship Act

Reference: https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/surre ... -passport/

Zrl100
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zrl100 » Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:11 pm

Thanks bharatuppala,
I read the entire webpage
It's very confusing (as usual).
Your pasted text above is shown at the beginning of that webpage but with no date to show or say "process amended" or anything like that?

Then if you read further down the page, the entire process for applying for surrender & renunciation is listed below as was the case previously.

No one ever applies for RC before getting a foreign passport/naturalisation certificate before anyway. But yet people were required to go thru that RC step since it's introduction Sep 2023. So the step was invalid all along?? Doesn't make sense! Then why make people go thru it, right! All the Indian embassy London, cgi Birmingham & vfs web pages...none of them have been amended to reflect the new change. I mean this is a huge change in process, there'll be alot of people like us worldwide getting affected.

Did you pay for the RC process already online by any chance?

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:48 am

Hi Zrl100,
I paid and received RC but my RC needs correction, so I went to VFS yesterday for correction, I was told that RC is not needed for OCI. They may bring in the future but currently RC process is suspended.

I know this will confuse everyone, but I double checked with VFS Birmingham, it is confirmed that RC is not needed now

Thanks,
Sathya

rmarck
Newly Registered
India

Post by rmarck » Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:56 am

I also had similar experience yesterday. I completed my online application, paid fees and went for the appointment yesterday, and was told that the Renuciation process is suspended. Seems like Surrender certificate is enough for OCI application. I sent an email to VFS-Goswell and got the response that HCI authorities have advised them about the change yesterday. I am bit confused.. there is no such information available anywhere else.

thunderbird0910
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by thunderbird0910 » Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:35 pm

While the HCILondon has not made it very clear. The CGI Birmingham has clearly mentioned now in the renunication section https://cgibirmingham.gov.in/page/display/353

Text from the page.

If an applicant has already been issued a naturalisation certificate/passport by another country, the applicant loses his Indian Citizenship with immediate effect and hence is ineligible to apply for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship under Section 8 of the Indian Citizenship Act.

As per the latest guidelines, Renunciation is no longer a mandatory document for applying OCI