ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Name Change

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lifelonger
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British Passport Name Change

Post by lifelonger » Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:47 pm

Hi guys, this forum has been immensely helpful in my immigration journey so I wanted to help other people who are applying for their first British passport after naturalization and changing their name at the same time.

In my case, I had to move my surname to the surname field (which was previously in the given name) because the surname field was left blank on my last passport.

I was asked to send the following documents:

- Original naturalization certificate
- Original current passport
- Unenrolled/enrolled deed poll* (I drafted one myself and got friends to sign it. I'll share below)
- Cover letter
- A document* evidencing use of the new name (I got my employer to write me a letter confirming the new name)
- Surrender Certificate application for last passport (signed with photo affixed)

I was not aware I'd have to send in a document showing my new name in use, but they gave me a list of documents they were expecting, which included this.
*1 of the following that proves you changed your name:

• marriage or civil partnership certificate
• deed poll
• change of name deed
• statutory declaration
• affidavit

*And 1 of the following from the last 12 months, that shows you're using your new name:

• utility bill
• bank statement
• letter from your employer
• driving licence
• medical card
• letter from your local council or a government department
This is the template you can use for the unenrolled deed poll, print it out and sign it (I got my witnesses to sign it digitally for me):

Deed of Change of Name

BY THIS DEED OF CHANGE OF NAME made by myself, the undersigned of <Address>, <City> in the County of , Postcode , a British Citizen, born on under section 37(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

HEREBY DECLARE AS FOLLOWS:

I ABSOLUTELY and entirely renounce, relinquish and abandon the use of my said former given name and assume, adopt and determine to take and use from the date hereof the given name of and surname of in substitution for my former given name of .

I DECLARE that for all official records and documentation, my new given names are and should be placed in the given name(s) field.

I DECLARE that for all official records and documentation, my new surname is and should be placed in the surname field.

I UNDERSTAND that when I apply for official documents in my new name, such as a British Passport, the relevant authorities may check the history and validity of my old given name of with no surname and new given name of with surname of . They may also check the information in any other supporting documents they have requested.

IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto subscribed my adopted given name of and surname , and my former given name of in the presence of Witness 1 and Witness 2.

SIGNED AS A DEED THIS 2nd DAY OF AUGUST IN THE YEAR 2024

<signature (new name)>
by the above-named

<signature (old name)>
formerly known as

<Signature>
Witness 1
Their address

<Signature>
Witness 2
Their address

----
I received my passport within 2 weeks with the correct name.

This is info I wish I had when I was doing this so hope this helps someone! All the best.

Wanderer2024
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: British Passport Name Change

Post by Wanderer2024 » Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:35 pm

lifelonger wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:47 pm
Hi guys, this forum has been immensely helpful in my immigration journey so I wanted to help other people who are applying for their first British passport after naturalization and changing their name at the same time.

In my case, I had to move my surname to the surname field (which was previously in the given name) because the surname field was left blank on my last passport.

I was asked to send the following documents:

- Original naturalization certificate
- Original current passport
- Unenrolled/enrolled deed poll* (I drafted one myself and got friends to sign it. I'll share below)
- Cover letter
- A document* evidencing use of the new name (I got my employer to write me a letter confirming the new name)
- Surrender Certificate application for last passport (signed with photo affixed)

I was not aware I'd have to send in a document showing my new name in use, but they gave me a list of documents they were expecting, which included this.
*1 of the following that proves you changed your name:

• marriage or civil partnership certificate
• deed poll
• change of name deed
• statutory declaration
• affidavit

*And 1 of the following from the last 12 months, that shows you're using your new name:

• utility bill
• bank statement
• letter from your employer
• driving licence
• medical card
• letter from your local council or a government department
This is the template you can use for the unenrolled deed poll, print it out and sign it (I got my witnesses to sign it digitally for me):

Deed of Change of Name

BY THIS DEED OF CHANGE OF NAME made by myself, the undersigned of <Address>, <City> in the County of , Postcode , a British Citizen, born on under section 37(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

HEREBY DECLARE AS FOLLOWS:

I ABSOLUTELY and entirely renounce, relinquish and abandon the use of my said former given name and assume, adopt and determine to take and use from the date hereof the given name of and surname of in substitution for my former given name of .

I DECLARE that for all official records and documentation, my new given names are and should be placed in the given name(s) field.

I DECLARE that for all official records and documentation, my new surname is and should be placed in the surname field.

I UNDERSTAND that when I apply for official documents in my new name, such as a British Passport, the relevant authorities may check the history and validity of my old given name of with no surname and new given name of with surname of . They may also check the information in any other supporting documents they have requested.

IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto subscribed my adopted given name of and surname , and my former given name of in the presence of Witness 1 and Witness 2.

SIGNED AS A DEED THIS 2nd DAY OF AUGUST IN THE YEAR 2024

<signature (new name)>
by the above-named

<signature (old name)>
formerly known as

<Signature>
Witness 1
Their address

<Signature>
Witness 2
Their address

----
I received my passport within 2 weeks with the correct name.

This is info I wish I had when I was doing this so hope this helps someone! All the best.
Hi, Thanks for this. This is really helpful! I am in same situation. For the document confirming use of new name, what did your employer write?

My name is still same (former name was, given name: Abc Xyz) but currently I want it to be split into two l, given name: Abc and surname: Xyz.
My Utility bill still would show Mr. Abc Xyz so I am confused how’s that helpful.