ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How will an e-visa be validated when traveling back to the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Taq
Newly Registered

How will an e-visa be validated when traveling back to the UK?

Post by Taq » Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:49 am

Hello Experts,

My ILR BRP is expiring at 12/2024 and my evisa online is not yet ready despite having received an email.

Apart from that, I'm concerned about how an e-visa will be verified by immigration in another country when traveling back to the UK.

I assume you'll need to show it on your phone/laptop by logging into your gov account. However, I'm worried about the possibility of network issues or device malfunctions. Furthermore, how can we expect the immigration officers at another country to believe you just by showing it on a phone without a hard copy? I'm really worried.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Taq
Newly Registered

Re: How will an e-visa be validated when traveling back to the UK?

Post by Taq » Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:01 am

Even if you carry a printed copy of the evisa, how can its validity be proved?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:43 am

We do not know the inner workings of HO or what is actually in place for the evisa regime to work effectively. Any response will be a guess wirh refrerence to other e-verification systems in place and working around the world.
So we all await how this will be in practice after the full roll out by HO.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:37 am

You're worrying too much for something that haven't even happened yet. This eVisa system is still under deployment and subject to many issues, we only can expect that the Home Office have all these things sorted out by 31-12-2024.

At the moment and until that date, it's still required to hold a BRP card when travelling. That's advised on the UKVI website. Eventually airline staff abroad will be informed about this system and how they can check the status of passengers holding a visa.

Other countries provide electronic visas to their foreign nationals with no issues.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:57 am

To quote Donald Rumsfeld, the mechanism for the validation of e-visas is a "known unknown". We know that we don't know how it will work in practice.

If I were a UK e-visa holder, I wouldn't plan any international trips in the first half of next year.

Having said that, I'd point out that the EU and Schengen zone countries are also moving to an e-visa system. Indeed, the UK is implementing e-visas because it was an EU wide deadline before the UK Brexited and it has already invested quite a lot of money and effort into it. So I'm sure that the change will not be limited to just the UK but will impact quite a few countries and will likely be rolled out in unison.
Taq wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:49 am
how can we expect the immigration officers at another country to believe you just by showing it on a phone without a hard copy?
Why would the immigration officer of another country be interested in your UK visa? The only people who should be bothered about it are the airline staff who check if you can board the flight and the UK immigration staff, who should be able to check your immigration status directly on their systems.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:29 pm

The E-visa isn't as complex as it sounds. It would be linked to your passport. Airlines can verify it easily so would the immigration of the UK.

The USA already have their ESTA, The Canadians ETA, and the UK have already started implementing the ETA since February this year.
An ETA gives you permission to travel to the UK.

Who can apply
You can apply now if you’re a national of:

Bahrain
Jordan
Kuwait
Oman
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
This I believe was the test phase. The E-visa would work in similar ways as this.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Taq
Newly Registered

Post by Taq » Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:45 pm

Thankyou for your reply.

[/quote]Why would the immigration officer of another country be interested in your UK visa? The only people who should be bothered about it are the airline staff who check if you can board the flight and the UK immigration staff, who should be able to check your immigration status directly on their systems.
[/quote]

For example, in India, if you hold an Indian passport, you must present valid visa documents issued by the country you are travelling to at immigration.

Hence, my original question stemmed from a probable scenario: what could happen if someone cannot successfully present the e-Visa on their devices at the departure country's immigration?

Thanks,