ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Another naturalisation query...

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kabe
Newly Registered

Another naturalisation query...

Post by kabe » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm

I am a UK citizen and my wife is Filipina. We are both official residents of Andorra. Our child was born in Andorra and has a UK passport. My wife meets all the requirements for a UK passport except for the 3 year residency. Neither of us wish to spend 3 years in the UK just to qualify for a UK passport, so I suppose we have to give up on this idea, but it would be nice if all three of us could have the same passport. I am posting this in case there is some obscure alternative path that we can persue or in case there are any pending changes in immigration law.

Thanks
Kabe

whirly

Re: Another naturalisation query...

Post by whirly » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:59 pm

kabe wrote:I am a UK citizen and my wife is Filipina. We are both official residents of Andorra. Our child was born in Andorra and has a UK passport. My wife meets all the requirements for a UK passport except for the 3 year residency. Neither of us wish to spend 3 years in the UK just to qualify for a UK passport, so I suppose we have to give up on this idea, but it would be nice if all three of us could have the same passport. I am posting this in case there is some obscure alternative path that we can persue or in case there are any pending changes in immigration law.

Thanks
Kabe
As far as I know, UK residence is a pretty major requirement for naturalisation, unless she has any British ancestry that she can claim. Out of curiosity, is she eligible for Andorran citizenship? Would that be an alternative?

Re: 'pending changes in immigration law'
If anything, they're getting more stringent. Pretty soon, 3 years will be even longer.

I'm sure other members will come along with comments...

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:09 am

kabe wrote:I am a UK citizen and my wife is Filipina. We are both official residents of Andorra. Our child was born in Andorra and has a UK passport. My wife meets all the requirements for a UK passport except for the 3 year residency. Neither of us wish to spend 3 years in the UK just to qualify for a UK passport, so I suppose we have to give up on this idea, but it would be nice if all three of us could have the same passport. I am posting this in case there is some obscure alternative path that we can persue or in case there are any pending changes in immigration law.

Thanks
Kabe
did your wife ever lived in the uk. i mean she had ILE or ILR how long you been living togather in Andorra or anyother british connection (other than wife of a british citizen).

kabe
Newly Registered

Post by kabe » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for the reply Whirley, but Andorran citizenship requires 20 years residence, although our child has an Andorran passport thru birth.

And, for Rizwan, I have lived in Andorra for 15 years and my wife for 3. She has never been to UK except for two short vacations with me on a FP.

Seems like there´s not much hope.... :(

Kabe

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:43 pm

kabe wrote:Thanks for the reply Whirley, but Andorran citizenship requires 20 years residence, although our child has an Andorran passport thru birth.

And, for Rizwan, I have lived in Andorra for 15 years and my wife for 3. She has never been to UK except for two short vacations with me on a FP.

Seems like there´s not much hope.... :(

Kabe

Acording to current immigration rules once you complete 4 year living togather with your wife outside the uk then she can apply ILE (indifinate leave to remain) but i will suggest before apply that pass the KOL test (knowledge of life test).

But for passport she have to spend atleast 3 year before qualify for British citizenship.

kabe
Newly Registered

Post by kabe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks rizwan for that information - it could be useful. Do you by chance have a link to the rule which grants ILR after 4 years of marriage outside the UK. I´ve been searching the immigration sites without success.

Kabe