ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I'm on WP (pre Tier2) - what happens if I'm made redundant?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dosknyppxpuxtg
Newly Registered

I'm on WP (pre Tier2) - what happens if I'm made redundant?

Post by dosknyppxpuxtg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi All,

Right now, I'm on a work permit (pre Tier2) which was given to me back in 2006 and is valid till 2011, i.e. 5 years.

I'm just wondering what happens theoretically if I'm made redundant by my current employer and work permit sponsor?

Do I have to leave UK?

If not, how long can I stay back and how would I go back to working again? Will that necessarily mean switching to Tier1 or can I switch to Tier2, provided that an employer is ready to take me on board?

In the case of switching to Tier2 through new employer, do I need to go back to my country of origin to re-apply or can I do it in country?

I'm asking this all because I'm considering switching to Tier1, but I just wanted to know if its really worth it.

Thanks!

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: I'm on WP (pre Tier2) - what happens if I'm made redunda

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:06 pm

dosknyppxpuxtg wrote:Hi All,

Right now, I'm on a work permit (pre Tier2) which was given to me back in 2006 and is valid till 2011, i.e. 5 years.

I'm just wondering what happens theoretically if I'm made redundant by my current employer and work permit sponsor?

Do I have to leave UK?!
Yes, if you are made redundant your employer will inform the HO about it and you will have a grace period of 28days?? to leave the country
If not, how long can I stay back and how would I go back to working again? Will that necessarily mean switching to Tier1 or can I switch to Tier2, provided that an employer is ready to take me on board?
Before you are made redundant, apply for Tier1 (G) and if approved you can work independently and can have the freedom to change jobs...

For tier 2, yes a compnay should go through the process of ADVERT, Interviews, Sponser License, Certificate of Sponsership and apply for you to take u on board...
please read in this thread there is more details about the procedures

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=32904
In the case of switching to Tier2 through new employer, do I need to go back to my country of origin to re-apply or can I do it in country?
NO you dont need to go back home if you can apply before you are made redundant or given notice to leave the country
I'm asking this all because I'm considering switching to Tier1, but I just wanted to know if its really worth it.

Thanks

arts99
United Kingdom

Post by arts99 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:00 pm

According to the Home Office there is no such thing as a 28 days rule; quote There is no official 28 day ruling that allows someone to remain in the UK. However, if someone finds further employment shortly after losing their job, they can apply under the new rules and an application will be considered. unquote

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: I'm on WP (pre Tier2) - what happens if I'm made redunda

Post by yasa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 am

dosknyppxpuxtg wrote:Hi All,

Do I have to leave UK?

Thanks!
The better option for you is to switch to Tier 1 (General).

dosknyppxpuxtg
Newly Registered

Thank you everyone for your kind replies

Post by dosknyppxpuxtg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:11 am

I Have decided to apply for Tier1.

Cheers.

arts99
United Kingdom

Post by arts99 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:14 am

I hope you are aware that Tier 1 (general) rules are changing from 31st march 09 onwards, with regards to the minimum qualifications; however if you have a UK equivalent masters you will be fine.

dosknyppxpuxtg
Newly Registered

Post by dosknyppxpuxtg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks for mentioning that. Indeed I am aware of it and hoping to apply tomorrow!

I had a related question, it would be nice if you knew the correct answer: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Thanks!
arts99 wrote:I hope you are aware that Tier 1 (general) rules are changing from 31st march 09 onwards, with regards to the minimum qualifications; however if you have a UK equivalent masters you will be fine.