ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Public funds after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix

Sean7398

Public funds after ILR

Post by Sean7398 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi. My wife is here in the UK on a spouse visa ( been here for a year now of a two year spouse visa)- I wanted to enquire about public funds. I know she is not allowed public funds while she is on a 2 year spouse visa, but once she gains her ILR, will she be eligible to receive them??

Thanks folks,

the best site around!

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Yes she will be able to claim some but not other public funds as some of them depend upons ones contribution into the system

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:20 pm

It might have an effect on future Citizenship application, should she wish to acquire it.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:00 pm

It might have an effect on future Citizenship application, should she wish to acquire it
Obie in what way will it affect one applying for Citizenship. I cant figure it out.

I thought it would effect an ILR application,but cant see anything relating to claimimg benefits in Form AN? :)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:25 pm

Yes, if you read the guidance on Page 19 Section 3 of this link, you will notice that part of the character requirement is that the applicant should have been working and paying taxes in the UK.

Therefore, i suspect an applicant who has consistently been on state benefit could be denied citizenship on the grounds that they are not of good character.

The odd tax credit or child benefit will not have an effect, but Income Support certainly will be construed as bad character.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:43 am

I believe that if entitled, then public funds may be claimed. However, note that:
Annex D: The good character requirement wrote:7.8 Dishonesty in relation to public funds

7.8.1 Caseworkers should not normally grant an applicant who is drawing public funds to which they are not entitled. Such cases may or may not result in prosecution. If they do not, caseworkers can grant an application if they are satisfied that there was no deliberate attempt to deceive the authorities.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:43 am

Thanks Obie and Vinny for that information

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:27 am

Obie wrote: if you read the guidance on Page 19 Section 3 of this link, you will notice that part of the character requirement is that the applicant should have been working and paying taxes in the UK.
There is no such requirement! But if it is suggested that the guide could have been better worded, I would agree.

That is, there is an expectation that the applicant has paid all tax and NI due, but if they have not been working then such liabilities will be £0!

Or put it another way, it is not a problem if a housewife (or indeed househusband) has not earned a penny since coming to the UK. Such a situation would not reflect upon them, as regards the Good Character requirement.

Also, once ILR has been granted, there is absolutely no problem the person claiming whatever benefits their circumstances dictate they are eligible for. And even before the ILR is granted there are many exceptions, as more fully discussed in the Claiming Benefits section of this board.
John