ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

South African travelling to SA with a british passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mads

South African travelling to SA with a british passport

Post by mads » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi there
A bit of a dilemma. My husband is british but has dual nationality. As a surprise, I bought my hubby tickets to go back for christmas when we realized his SA passport had expired. I applied beginning November for a temporary passport and renewal. I finally managed to get hold of someone today about it and was told that one document with fingerprints were missing and that he needs to go to London to have the temporary passport issued.
Problem is that we 1. live in leeds (4hrs from London); 2. my husband cannot get time off before we fly next week.
I double checked all the paperwork before sending it off and am sure that they have stuffed up.

my question really is this, what would happen if he travels on his british passport ( he is british by birth)? Anyone have any experience to share?
many thanks
Partner: British Citizen; Me: SA with ILR (qualified through spouse visa). Updated March 2009 - naturalised.

RedLed
Newly Registered

Post by RedLed » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi mads,

What was the outcome of your dilemma? I'll get my British citizenship soon and hope to travel to SA thereafter. I decided to renounce my SA citzenship but it takes a while to process (up to 3 months according to SA house in London). Do you know if there is any issues if I enter SA on a British passport before my renunciation has been formalised or could I enter on my SA passport even though it might have been cancelled?

mads

Post by mads » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:34 am

Hi there
No problems entering or leaving on his British passport. They just stamped his passport with a temporary resident visa and wished him a good holiday. :D
All the best.
Partner: British Citizen; Me: SA with ILR (qualified through spouse visa). Updated March 2009 - naturalised.