ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship by Descent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fanadfilms
Newly Registered

Irish Citizenship by Descent

Post by fanadfilms » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 pm

I have applied for Irish citizenship via descent from my maternal grandmother. I went through an agency that assists people with filing the proper forms.

The Foreign Births Ministry (FBM) says that Marriage Certificates are required, especially in the case of a maternal link, since a change of name might occur.

I not able to find the two marriage certificates for my maternal grandmother. However, her birth certificate and death certificates show clearly that the person with a different last name is the same person listed on the birth certificate. I have all the other documents to prove that I am me and my Irish-born grandmother is my grandmother.

However, the FBM continues to stonewall me. No matter how many times I comply (getting a certified document showing that I searched for the marriage certificates in the state in which she lived), they keep asking for more info.

What’s stupid is, as stated, I HAVE proof she is Irish-Born and I AM her grandson.

Also, when I first filed in April of 2010, they said it would take about 8-12 months to process once they accepted the documentation. Now, six months later, after receiving several correspondences from the FBM, they’re indicating 12-16 months as the processing time.

What is with these people? I have read the Irish law regarding citizenship via descent and nothing says you have to provide certain documents to establish proof, but not exactly which documents. I have submitted documents establishing beyond doubt that I am descendent from and Irish-born grandparent, yet they keep stonewalling me.

Does anyone have any info to get these people to provide the service they should provide?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Irish Citizenship by Descent

Post by walrusgumble » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:18 pm

fanadfilms wrote:I have applied for Irish citizenship via descent from my maternal grandmother. I went through an agency that assists people with filing the proper forms.

The Foreign Births Ministry (FBM) says that Marriage Certificates are required, especially in the case of a maternal link, since a change of name might occur.

I not able to find the two marriage certificates for my maternal grandmother. However, her birth certificate and death certificates show clearly that the person with a different last name is the same person listed on the birth certificate. I have all the other documents to prove that I am me and my Irish-born grandmother is my grandmother.

However, the FBM continues to stonewall me. No matter how many times I comply (getting a certified document showing that I searched for the marriage certificates in the state in which she lived), they keep asking for more info.

What’s stupid is, as stated, I HAVE proof she is Irish-Born and I AM her grandson.

Also, when I first filed in April of 2010, they said it would take about 8-12 months to process once they accepted the documentation. Now, six months later, after receiving several correspondences from the FBM, they’re indicating 12-16 months as the processing time.

What is with these people? I have read the Irish law regarding citizenship via descent and nothing says you have to provide certain documents to establish proof, but not exactly which documents. I have submitted documents establishing beyond doubt that I am descendent from and Irish-born grandparent, yet they keep stonewalling me.

Does anyone have any info to get these people to provide the service they should provide?
Where and when did she marry? Did she marry in Ireland?. Try the parish church for records.

I can understand why they want the marriage certs. you are being asked to provide all links to the chain. you say that the documents that you have prove everything despite the use of surname. Well, the departments without the marriage cert (or your parent's cert) have only got your word for it. Many people can have the same name, and , even same dob. Does the death cert state that she is Irish and where she was born? sounds a wee bit overbearing though. Did your own parents not apply for citizenship, if not why not?, that would have solved some problems

THey need to be certain that she is the person you say she is. Jeez, maybe women are better off keeping their maiden name lol. Doesn't her death cert show who she married and where they lived. You said "two marriage certs", did she marry twice? or is that there are two official certs? clarify, please. She definitely did not denounce citizenship? (what years are we looking at btw?)

Can you not show your parent's birth certs which will confirm some information on both your grandparents?

Are you sure that you have provided all the information asked? If not, they are not stone walling you. Why can't you not get the marriage cert(s)?

You don't expect legislation to spell out all the documents needed do you? No legislation does, nor could it confirm every conceivable situation

fanadfilms
Newly Registered

i have documents linking me to her

Post by fanadfilms » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:52 pm

I have my birth certificate. I have my mother's birth certificate. I have my mother's and father's marriage certificate. I have my driver's license photocopied I have my passport photo copied. I have my bank statements photocopied. I have my mother's passport and drivers license photo copied. I have my grandmother's birth certificate and death certificate.
My grandmother was married twice. Both marriages took place in the united states. I cannot find the marriage certificates. However I did find the beginning of a divorce proceedings. However the worse was not finalized. So I cannot get an official copy of a divorce .

But the documents I provided do you show that I am my grandmother's grandson. Anyone with half a brain can see that. I can only assume that the people in the foreign brooks ministry don't have half a brain.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: i have documents linking me to her

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:44 am

fanadfilms wrote:I have my birth certificate. I have my mother's birth certificate. I have my mother's and father's marriage certificate. I have my driver's license photocopied I have my passport photo copied. I have my bank statements photocopied. I have my mother's passport and drivers license photo copied. I have my grandmother's birth certificate and death certificate.
My grandmother was married twice. Both marriages took place in the united states. I cannot find the marriage certificates. However I did find the beginning of a divorce proceedings. However the worse was not finalized. So I cannot get an official copy of a divorce .

But the documents I provided do you show that I am my grandmother's grandson. Anyone with half a brain can see that. I can only assume that the people in the foreign brooks ministry don't have half a brain.

really, and you are aware of how many american people claim to be Irish?

the foreign ministry may have relocated the other half of their brain if your family had registered the births of their family into the book.the longer one takes the hrder it is

those documents have a missing link, the marriage certs. they are asked for a reason. have you any idea how many eg ann murphy there are in this world? did your own parents register, considering we have over 15 years of eu ctizenship, its rather weird one is only realising they are Irish now.

marriage certs are not exactly an insourmountable obstacle to obtain, your dealing with a time period of up and over 50 years, the fact that your gran remarried,(and as far as the authorities are concerned took another surname) should give them some slack.. some of the documents you suggested are a much use as the tits on a bull.

where was your gran married? you should do some investigations at the state/district area/ city hall and dig out the records. you are bount to find something there, with your brain. have you tried that?

best of luck

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:42 pm

fanadfilms wrote:I have my birth certificate. I have my mother's birth certificate. I have my mother's and father's marriage certificate. I have my driver's license photocopied I have my passport photo copied. I have my bank statements photocopied. I have my mother's passport and drivers license photo copied. I have my grandmother's birth certificate and death certificate.

Absolute sympathy with you there dude but the problem is its bureaucratic system which is hungary for paperwork. What i suggest and not 100% certain someone else might wanna comment on this....but if you can get your hands on baptismal cert from church in ireland where they got christined either of your great/grandparents it would help big time.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:57 pm

fatty patty wrote:

Absolute sympathy with you there dude but the problem is its bureaucratic system which is hungary for paperwork. What i suggest and not 100% certain someone else might wanna comment on this....but if you can get your hands on baptismal cert from church in ireland where they got christined either of your great/grandparents it would help big time.
Do not get me wrong Patty, I have nothing but sympathy as well. But what other way can there be to ensure that those who do claim are genuinely Irish. Granted, I fully accept, birth and death certificate should be enough, but those, documents, objectively, themselves do not provide clear links to show that they are related to the poster

Time, alot of patience and a copule of quid, the poster will get this sorted. As it all happened in America, surely, the effort won't be as heart breaking as it might be in Ireland.

The baptism cert would might help, but it is no more of use than the birth cert. They clearly also want the marriage cert. even if the marriage occurred in 1900-1940ish surely this won't be difficult to obtain, unless of course some made fire blew city hall up. Its not like they are dealing with a country whose buildings were blown up etc due to war, so the records should be there.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:34 am

If the statutory requirements for FBR are met then registration cannot be denied. So if it is going to be absolutely impossible to get the document requested you ought to be looking for a good immigration lawyer with a plan to go to court if you are refused.

fanadfilms
Newly Registered

I don't think they're going to deny it...

Post by fanadfilms » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 am

Since the evidence IS there. I think it's them being typically Irish. And with the economy in Ireland they way it is, they might think we intend on availing ourselves of the welfare state, rather than bringing our own industry to Ireland.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: I don't think they're going to deny it...

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:32 am

fanadfilms wrote:Since the evidence IS there. I think it's them being typically Irish. And with the economy in Ireland they way it is, they might think we intend on availing ourselves of the welfare state, rather than bringing our own industry to Ireland.
Clearly the evidence is not there, not in full. your the applicant, it is for you to prove it. if the department asks for all of these documents from everyone, then you are not a special case. For such a simple request you seem to protest too much

If the documents are there, its for you to get them. Contact the American authorities to get these documents and quit complaining. It has nothing to do with the economy.

The death cert, does it say where someone was born?. Does it even mention a woman's maiden name? Does your parent's certs say where your grandmother is from? What will producing your parents driving licence achieve? Why didn't your own parents not avail of the rights? What objective proof is there that the person on her birth cert is the same person on the death cert? State Documents must contain no missing links. That is why you are where you are

Your dealing with millions of people who claim to be Irish. Your dealing with people who probably have the same name as your granmother. There are some chancers out there too there is also such a thing called fraud, hence the requirements for all documentation. You should not have problems obtaining the required documents. Good luck

Typical Irish? Economy? Sweet jesus, go back to economics school. Since when would going back to the "old country" be more stronger reason to invest as oppose to say, low corporation tax. You can shove your dollars where the sun don't shine, with that attitude

fanadfilms
Newly Registered

Wow, you're abrasive, and illogical, and in some cases wrong

Post by fanadfilms » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 am

"The death cert, does it say where someone was born?. Does it even mention a woman's maiden name? Does your parent's certs say where your grandmother is from? What will producing your parents driving licence achieve? Why didn't your own parents not avail of the rights? What objective proof is there that the person on her birth cert is the same person on the death cert? State Documents must contain no missing links. That is why you are where you are "

If you get a photocopy of the original, it has a wealth of information that you have obviously overlooked. On my grandmother's Death Cert, it has her parent's names, the place where they lived in Ireland (which is the same as on my grandmother's birth cert), and my grandmother's date of birth. Pretty good evidence.

Do not speak to me in such a condescending manner.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Wow, you're abrasive, and illogical, and in some cases w

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:06 pm

fanadfilms wrote:"The death cert, does it say where someone was born?. Does it even mention a woman's maiden name? Does your parent's certs say where your grandmother is from? What will producing your parents driving licence achieve? Why didn't your own parents not avail of the rights? What objective proof is there that the person on her birth cert is the same person on the death cert? State Documents must contain no missing links. That is why you are where you are "

If you get a photocopy of the original, it has a wealth of information that you have obviously overlooked. On my grandmother's Death Cert, it has her parent's names, the place where they lived in Ireland (which is the same as on my grandmother's birth cert), and my grandmother's date of birth. Pretty good evidence.

Do not speak to me in such a condescending manner.
Hang on, I was asking you a number of questions and not trying to make a point nor trying to be condescending. I do not know what American death certs look like. I, thankfully have not seen too many death certs. That was the point of asking those particulars as it would solve your problems when you go and obtain the marriage cert. so it is obvious that i have not overlooked any relevant information as you say the death cert contains the suggested info needed

As for death cert, does the death cert have the maiden surname? ie same name as birth cert? where did your gran die? Again, what does producing parent's driving licence achieve?

I find it strange that you are still requested for more info, but if you are been asked, then so be it, you won't be the only one. Did your gran, ever revoke her citizenship? What year are we talking about by the way? post 1922?

Telling you what you should get, and telling you that you are not a special case and telling you that every one is required to obtain these documents regardless of what you have now, is not being condescending. Its your problem if you don't like what you are being told. Telling you to stop complaining and that you are not a case that requires special treatment is not been condescending. You are complainging over very legitimate and reasonable request for information. You are the one who made a retarded comment about the economy and "typical irish". Whilst it won't effect you, it is conceivable that in some cases, for what ever reason, marriage certs won't correspond with the documents one already has. Moreover, its a rely to you to drop the arrogant attitude.

Your in a handy position as these documents can be obtained. Your problem is trivial compared to others. So as Mr T says, quit your jiber jabber

Objectively, it does sound a little odd that your own family never claimed citizenship (is that correct) and it looks like there is now a gap and someone is chancing their arm, hence why the departments want all documents.again, you won't have too many problems

As further risk of sounding condensending a normal photocopy might not suffice. You will probably need an original copy/or attested genuine copy

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/maga ... itizen.htm
"In the case of a family’s first registration in the FBR documentation is needed to prove entitlement. To be registered, the potential citizen claiming citizenship through a foreign-born Irish parent and an Irish born grandparent, needs to produce their own birth certificate and (if applicable) their marriage certificate. They then need to produce the birth certificates and (if applicable) marriage certificates of their citizen parent and grandparent and an identity document (such as a driving licence) for each. Where the parent or grandparent is deceased a death certificate is needed in place of an identity document. "
Last edited by walrusgumble on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanadfilms
Newly Registered

Sorry for snapping. I'm under a lot of deadline pressure ...

Post by fanadfilms » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:16 pm

For writing projects and other matters.

All my documents are certified copies. Vis-à-vis the death certificate, it is a certified photocopy of the original, which contains much more information. My grandmother's name is that which she had at her death, however, her parent's names and places of birth are on there, as is my grandmother's place of birth, and her birth date. They corroborate the information on the Irish Birth Cert.

All the documents I have show clearly that this is my grandmother and that she was born in Ireland. My representative actually called the consulate before we submitted the application to make sure that the documents, sans the marriage certs., would be sufficient to establish descent. However, after we submitted the application, they started throwing up roadblocks; the marriage certs.

Both marriages took place here in the US. However, no matter where we look, we cannot find them. I did find evidence of an initiation of a divorce for the first marriage; but the divorce was never finalized in this state. There is no evidence of a marriage in this state. That leaves forty-nine others in which to look. It was during the Great Depression and my maternal grandfather was unemployed. I do not think they would have traveled far to get married. I’m also assuming the first marriage was a shotgun one.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Sorry for snapping. I'm under a lot of deadline pressure

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:25 pm

fanadfilms wrote:For writing projects and other matters.

All my documents are certified copies. Vis-à-vis the death certificate, it is a certified photocopy of the original, which contains much more information. My grandmother's name is that which she had at her death, however, her parent's names and places of birth are on there, as is my grandmother's place of birth, and her birth date. They corroborate the information on the Irish Birth Cert.

All the documents I have show clearly that this is my grandmother and that she was born in Ireland. My representative actually called the consulate before we submitted the application to make sure that the documents, sans the marriage certs., would be sufficient to establish descent. However, after we submitted the application, they started throwing up roadblocks; the marriage certs.

Both marriages took place here in the US. However, no matter where we look, we cannot find them. I did find evidence of an initiation of a divorce for the first marriage; but the divorce was never finalized in this state. There is no evidence of a marriage in this state. That leaves forty-nine others in which to look. It was during the Great Depression and my maternal grandfather was unemployed. I do not think they would have traveled far to get married. I’m also assuming the first marriage was a shotgun one.
Oh crap, that far down the timeline. I assume you contacted the church/place of marriage/city hall. thats no guarantee as the papers were not destroyed either by authorities (at least its not Berlin or other European countries via ww2) Is any of your relations alive and possess their memory. maybe they have letters/post cards, photos etc ?

get proofs that you made efforts eg letters and talk to a politican or lawyer. in fairness i reckon this is a special case after all.

fanadfilms
Newly Registered

I have a rep...

Post by fanadfilms » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Who does this all the time, and even they're pulling their hair out. The consulate was never like this before. We have gotten a certified document saying there are no marriage certs in NJ, now they want a church document.

Problem is, We don't know what church, if any, they would have been married in. And records are kept at the church level, not the diocesan level.

It really ticks me off, because as soon as I get this lined up, I can really work on the financing for my rubbish. I won't shoot it in Ireland if I'm not an Irish citizen at the time. Therefore, Ireland will lose millions of dollars in investment capital coming INTO the country. So foolish.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: I have a rep...

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:41 am

fanadfilms wrote:Who does this all the time, and even they're pulling their hair out. The consulate was never like this before. We have gotten a certified document saying there are no marriage certs in NJ, now they want a church document.

Problem is, We don't know what church, if any, they would have been married in. And records are kept at the church level, not the diocesan level.

It really ticks me off, because as soon as I get this lined up, I can really work on the financing for my rubbish. I won't shoot it in Ireland if I'm not an Irish citizen at the time. Therefore, Ireland will lose millions of dollars in investment capital coming INTO the country. So foolish.

So you have a budget of millions do you? my god you sound rather sure of yourself that it will even be a hit? Whats the plot?. Please tell me your not ron howard, and this won't be some typical american diddle die do Orish rubbish lol.

I find it rather funny how director types hug themselves over their glorious and selfish decision to film here, not mention the rather generious TAX BREAKS for doing so, oh well, hope you get a cheaper location

fanadfilms
Newly Registered

Not Ron Howard!

Post by fanadfilms » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:49 pm

I have more hair than he does, and lots less money. I've been working on developing this project for years. I lived in Ireland for a bit back in the 80's. I was there as a baby too.

The story is based on an old family legend. I wrote it when I was there in the 80's as a short story, and a script in the 90's. Every person in Ireland who's read it loves it.

If you wish to read it, you're free to do so. Send an email address and I'll forward a copy.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Not Ron Howard!

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:59 pm

fanadfilms wrote:I have more hair than he does, and lots less money. I've been working on developing this project for years. I lived in Ireland for a bit back in the 80's. I was there as a baby too.

The story is based on an old family legend. I wrote it when I was there in the 80's as a short story, and a script in the 90's. Every person in Ireland who's read it loves it.

If you wish to read it, you're free to do so. Send an email address and I'll forward a copy.
Ah best of luck with it.

fanadfilms
Newly Registered

If you wish to read in the future...

Post by fanadfilms » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Just say so.