ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport expires

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bpandrate

Passport expires

Post by bpandrate » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi All,

I just want to know as my Indian Passport expires by end of July 2011,but i planed a trip to India before that, my trip details are i will go t o India in April and return in first week of May 2011.

My question is do i need to get a new passport before i travel to India or can i get it done when i come back to U.K

I would appreciate your valuable advise on this

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:12 am

You may get it renewed in the UK after you return from the trip.

regards

in-london
Newly Registered

Post by in-london » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:01 pm

It's a good idea to ensure your passport has >6 months validity on it when you do international travel.

See here, e.g. http://www.wordtravels.com/travel-inspi ... iry-issues

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:12 pm

That may only required when one is applying for "certain categories" of visa (e.g. - visitor visa) to a destination country which specifies such requirement(s) or intending on getting a "visa on arrival" issued at arrival port(s) of any such country.

With an existing valid visa already issued in the passport, a valid passport can be used until the date of its expiry - to travel from / to the country which has issued the visa ... and from / to the country which has issued the passport.

The OP holds a valid Indian passport with a valid UK visa ... and is travelling to India!

regards

in-london
Newly Registered

Post by in-london » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:02 pm

While your points are correct, one could run into other problems,
e.g. even if you are only transiting through a country, e.g. via Dubai for a London-India flight, the transit country may insist on your having a passport with validity >6 months.

It's best to avoid such issues if possible. That would be my advice.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:48 pm

in-london wrote:e.g. even if you are only transiting through a country, e.g. via Dubai for a London-India flight, the transit country may insist on your having a passport with validity >6 months.
Again, not required unless one needs to cross border control at Dubai airport (e.g. - visit Dubai city between flights). One needs to understand how transiting through an airport between flights differs from transiting through a country, and what the respective requirements are in each case.

Anyhow, no point in debating non-existent problems / issues.

OP may renew his passport before his trip to India, if he wishes to, or may do so upon his return. His choice!

regards