ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation/Registration Clarification Please!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SgtBellPepper

Naturalisation/Registration Clarification Please!

Post by SgtBellPepper » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi there,

I know I'm jumping the gun slightly but wanted to ask this question anyway.

I have been reading up on the next step for my wife and daughter, who are currently awaiting their ILR (spouse + child dependant).

I am a BC and having read the FAQs I wanted to check something to see if I am reading the info correctly.

The way I read it, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that for my wife following on from her ILR success, she will have to wait till she gets to the 3 year residence waypoint before she can submit an AN application. However, my daughter, who is 3 years old, after ILR success, does not have to wait the same residence time, and can immediately make an MN1 application.

Is that correct? Or have I read it wrong, and both applications must be submitted later?

Thanks very much!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Your understanding is correct.

SgtBellPepper

Post by SgtBellPepper » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks Jambo.

Much appreciated!

:D

SgtBellPepper

Post by SgtBellPepper » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi Jambo, or anyone else in the know, I have just read Guide MN1, and it seems to contradict that information.

Under section 3(5), the applicable section for my daughter, it states a residency requirement of 3 years for the child and their parents.

Hmmm? Confused!!!

Thanks again for your time and help.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:29 am

SgtBellPepper wrote:Hi Jambo, or anyone else in the know, I have just read Guide MN1, and it seems to contradict that information.

Under section 3(5), the applicable section for my daughter, it states a residency requirement of 3 years for the child and their parents.

Hmmm? Confused!!!

Thanks again for your time and help.
Depending upon which section of immigration rules you are under, you may not need to fill the section 3(5). Where was your daughter born? What was your visa status then?.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

SgtBellPepper

Post by SgtBellPepper » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 am

My daughter was born in South Africa.

I was born in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) to a British mum. So I gained my British citizenship by descent through her and her parents who were also British. My mum and her parents were all born in the UK.

Thanks for the info push.

Cheers.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:39 pm

As push correctly pointed out, this depends on the section the child applies under. (These are the sections in the British Nationality Act not the sections in the form) .

I (wrongly) assumed that you are naturalised British which means the child applies under section 3(1) which is application at discretion. If you are British by decent, then the child can apply under section 3(2) or 3(5) which are entitlement to be registered (so no discretion by the HO if the child meets the requirements).

I suggest you read Can I register a child aged under 18 as a British citizen? to understand the different sections.

Section 3(5) is the strongest although will require residence in the UK. You can also apply under 3(1) which doesn't require residence but is at discretion (although likely to be granted in your case once the mother has ILR).

SgtBellPepper

Post by SgtBellPepper » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi Jambo,

Thanks for the info. This confirms what I thought.

We will be applying under section 3(5), regardless of the residency requirement.

Why? Simply because it works in my daughters favour. Under 3(2) she will not have the right to pass on her British citizenship by descent. However, under 3(5) she will retain this right.

For this reason we think it is worth going the extra mile.

Fair assessment do you think?

Thanks again.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Application under 3(5) requires 3 years of residence with a limit of the number of days absent from the UK.

Assuming your daughter would meet the 3 years residence sometime next year, it is worth the wait.

SgtBellPepper

Post by SgtBellPepper » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Thank you very much Jambo.

Your input is appreciated!!!

anustaya
Newly Registered

Post by anustaya » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 am

Jambo wrote:As push correctly pointed out, this depends on the section the child applies under. (These are the sections in the British Nationality Act not the sections in the form) .

I (wrongly) assumed that you are naturalised British which means the child applies under section 3(1) which is application at discretion. If you are British by decent, then the child can apply under section 3(2) or 3(5) which are entitlement to be registered (so no discretion by the HO if the child meets the requirements).

I suggest you read Can I register a child aged under 18 as a British citizen? to understand the different sections.

Section 3(5) is the strongest although will require residence in the UK. You can also apply under 3(1) which doesn't require residence but is at discretion (although likely to be granted in your case once the mother has ILR).
Hi guys,

I think I am in a similar situation. My wife got her ILR july last year. Our son whos is almost five years old was born in America but have been a resident for well over four years. His leave to remain is due to expire in August.
Can we register him as a british national using MN1? If so, which section applies in my son's case.
Somebody advice please.
Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 am

anustaya wrote:
Jambo wrote:As push correctly pointed out, this depends on the section the child applies under. (These are the sections in the British Nationality Act not the sections in the form) .

Hi guys,

I think I am in a similar situation. My wife got her ILR july last year. Our son whos is almost five years old was born in America but have been a resident for well over four years. His leave to remain is due to expire in August.
Can we register him as a british national using MN1? If so, which section applies in my son's case.
Somebody advice please.
Thanks
I think I am in a similar situation - you mean you are also British citizen by decent?

anustaya
Newly Registered

Post by anustaya » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:32 am

Not avcitizen by decent, on ILR.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:20 am

anustaya wrote:Not avcitizen by decent, on ILR.
In that case, you are not in a similar situation. Your son can apply when one of you apply.

See Q1 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - Children.

anustaya
Newly Registered

Post by anustaya » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks mate.