ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Norwegian practise prevent EEA application within 3 months

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

toves

Norwegian practise prevent EEA application within 3 months

Post by toves » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi
I have my registration card from UK, my husband got RC from UK.
Traveled to Norway 24th of August.
Applied online for RC on 28th of September, appointment with Service centre 26th of November.

Information service for the Ministry for Foreign affairs says application is not received before you have been to the appointment with the documentation that support the application.

Information service says you can be expelled if you dont apply within 3 months!!

This doesnt make sense or ?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:58 pm

I am moving this to the Europe forum.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:22 pm

This seems to be more common.

Germany is also often giving appointments for the RC applications which are a month an a half forward. And then they issue the RC the same day.

UK is doing everything postal, but the "immediate" COA is not issued for 2 months.

Have you talked with anyone about it? What did they say?

toves

Post by toves » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Have you talked with anyone about it? What did they say?[/quote]

Went to the service center and talked to the information desk today, they said it should not be any problem at all, but he suggested to send an e-mail to the UDI( ministry for foreigners) to get it confirmed in written.

So I will do so.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 pm

toves wrote:Went to the service center and talked to the information desk today, they said it should not be any problem at all, but he suggested to send an e-mail to the UDI( ministry for foreigners) to get it confirmed in written.
What is the "it" you refer to?

toves

Post by toves » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 am

The case is:

I travelled to Norway end of june, started to work 2nd of July.
My husband was not able to travel before 24th of August because UKBA did not return his passport. It took 5 e-mails.
I got registration card and he got his RC when they returned his passport.

The Norwegian site says: Deadline for submitting applications for a residence card

Family members who wish to use the residence card scheme must apply within three months of the Norwegian national's return to Norway. In some cases, an exception can be made to this deadline if the reason why the family member applied after more than three months was that they needed to finish work or studies in the other EEA country before moving to Norway.

Asked the information desk about this they say is not true, they say it is 3 months from the non EU nationals arrival.
The appointment is 26th of November 2 days after the 3 month from my husbands arrival.

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate ... nationals/

So I am confused

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:22 pm

toves wrote:The case is:

I travelled to Norway end of june, started to work 2nd of July.
My husband was not able to travel before 24th of August because UKBA did not return his passport. It took 5 e-mails.
I got registration card and he got his RC when they returned his passport.

The Norwegian site says: Deadline for submitting applications for a residence card

Family members who wish to use the residence card scheme must apply within three months of the Norwegian national's return to Norway. In some cases, an exception can be made to this deadline if the reason why the family member applied after more than three months was that they needed to finish work or studies in the other EEA country before moving to Norway.

Asked the information desk about this they say is not true, they say it is 3 months from the non EU nationals arrival.
The appointment is 26th of November 2 days after the 3 month from my husbands arrival.

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate ... nationals/

So I am confused
I assume you are Norwegen, that you have been working in the UK. So, for your return to Norway, your husband can enter on the basis of the EU rules.

So what are the EU rules? Well, exactly what governed his entry into the UK and would govern his entry into any EU/EEA county other than your home country (in this case Norway).
Directive 2004/38/EC
Article 9 - Administrative formalities for family members who are not nationals of a Member State

1. Member States shall issue a residence card to family members of a Union citizen who are not nationals of a Member State, where the planned period of residence is for more than three months.

2. The deadline for submitting the residence card application may not be less than three months from the date of arrival.

3. Failure to comply with the requirement to apply for a residence card may make the person concerned liable to proportionate and non-discriminatory sanctions.
Point 2 is very clear that they can not require him to have an RC in the first 3 months.

And point 3 points out that even if he did not comply with allowable laws, worst he could get is a fine and a slap on the wrist. (so for example, if he did not apply for the RC until 2 years after arriving...)

My concern is the opposite. You have a very simple application. You should be able to just submit it right away. You should not have to wait 3 months to submit it. What if he wants to work the day after he arrives? How will he prove that he has that right? (He does have the right to work immediately).

I would insist that they give you an immediate appointment and have them put it in writing if they refuse. Once they have written it down, go after them with the European Commission!

toves

Post by toves » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:55 am

So what are the EU rules? Well, exactly what governed his entry into the UK and would govern his entry into any EU/EEA county other than your home country (in this case Norway).

Yes, I am norwegian. Above you say all EU/EEA countries except my home country.
Is that why they can say 3 months after my arrival. Is there anything in the directive that specify this. The norwegian site says that we can use the EEA rules if we have lived together in another EU/EEA country and if I have excerised my rights, which I have.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:01 pm

toves wrote:
Yes, I am norwegian. Above you say all EU/EEA countries except my home country.
Is that why they can say 3 months after my arrival. Is there anything in the directive that specify this. The norwegian site says that we can use the EEA rules if we have lived together in another EU/EEA country and if I have excerised my rights, which I have.
Sorry, I was unclear.

Now that you have worked in UK, the rules on your return to Norway simply the European rules that I quoted above. Norway, for you, is now just like moving to any other EU member states.

They are not allowed to require your spouse to get a RC within 3 months. That is illegal.
Directive 2004/38/EC
Article 9 - Administrative formalities for family members who are not nationals of a Member State

1. Member States shall issue a residence card to family members of a Union citizen who are not nationals of a Member State, where the planned period of residence is for more than three months.

2. The deadline for submitting the residence card application may not be less than three months from the date of arrival.

3. Failure to comply with the requirement to apply for a residence card may make the person concerned liable to proportionate and non-discriminatory sanctions.