ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for uk provisional driving licence?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

david1955
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Applying for uk provisional driving licence?

Post by david1955 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi there, someone can give me useful advice. I am an indian nation and i am in the process of applying my first uk provisional driving licence. I am in a doubtful situation whether to send passport as for the identification or do i have to send my biometrics residence for card. Please note : my current indian passport dont have any visa stamp on it, the only visa i have is a seperate biometrics card not attached to the passport. Can someone please let me know if i send only passport without the visa stamp. Would that be sufficient or should i send the biometrics card.

Can someone also send me how safe is royal mail nowadays when getting the identity documents back from the DVLA , as i have heard so many horror stories of peoples passport or BRP getting lost in the post? Any useful advice will be highly appreciated.
Regards

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm

A similar post, most of your questions appear to be answered here: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 513#755513

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:13 am

Send it via recorded delivery and enclose a special delivery return envelope too with. Mine was lost by DVLA back In 2009

MR_G
BANNED

Post by MR_G » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 pm

it must be special delivery there and back. recorded delivery is standard, just means that when and if it gets there, someone signs for it. doesnt mean that it will definitely get there, or get there any quicker.

try to find out if you can visit a local dvla office instead of posting it to wales.

good luck

G

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Thought of clearing confusion on BRP vs Passport debate while sending documents for provisional licence.

Almost all friends (& the gentleman at postoffice) advised me to send passport to DVLA. Else, a rejection of provisional is imminent.

However, I just sent BRP card (i.e. no passport) via special delivery to DVLA office. I got my provisional licence a few days back.

Original GOV ref link:
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-appl ... -documents

Based on my experience, I will safely extend the argument that 'current passport' too suffice. No need for sending your all old passports.

In summary, BRP is OK, no need of passport at same time.

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Good to know that they now are excepting BRP cards instead of passport