ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-1 General dependent - Council tax or Tenancy agreement

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

neesh
United Kingdom

Tier-1 General dependent - Council tax or Tenancy agreement

Post by neesh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi all

I am in the process of applying for my wife's tier-1 dependent visa. She has been living with me in the UK for past one year (after marriage) on her own tier-1. Now that her tier-1 is about to expire, we are planning on switching her visa to my dependent.

Question 1 - Do i need to show proof of subsisting relationship when she has been living with me for past 1 year (she came here with me just after marriage)

Question 2 - As proof of her UK address, we have attached her bank statements and our tenancy agreement (which has both our names on it)

Are these enough? Or i need other evidences.

Question 3 - I have attached the tenancy agreement, but i lost my council tax bill for this year, is it mandatory to attach that? Or would just tenancy agreement be ok?

Thanks for your replies in advance. I appreciate your quick reply.

hsyasin

Re: Tier-1 General dependent - Council tax or Tenancy agreem

Post by hsyasin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:43 pm

neesh wrote:Hi all

Question 3 - I have attached the tenancy agreement, but i lost my council tax bill for this year, is it mandatory to attach that? Or would just tenancy agreement be ok?

Thanks for your replies in advance. I appreciate your quick reply.
Not sure about the rest, but can u show/point me to where ukba/home office have specifically asked for ur(main applicant's) proof of accomodation?

neesh
United Kingdom

Post by neesh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:47 pm

[quote="hsyasin"]
Not sure about the rest, but can u show/point me to where ukba/home office have specifically asked for ur(main applicant's) proof of accomodation?[/quote]

Not really proof for my accommodation. But the general consensus is that people normally submit tenancy agreement as proof of accomodation of main applicant so that UKBA is convinced that the spouse has somewhere to stay. They may want to ensure dependents will be adequately housed without the need for applying for council housing. Hence the tenancy agreement

bubin123
Member of Standing

Post by bubin123 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 pm

are you planning for in-country application for switching?

hsyasin

Post by hsyasin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:55 am

neesh wrote: Not really proof for my accommodation. But the general consensus is that people normally submit tenancy agreement as proof of accomodation of main applicant so that UKBA is convinced that the spouse has somewhere to stay. They may want to ensure dependents will be adequately housed without the need for applying for council housing. Hence the tenancy agreement
Ok, so why havent they specifically mentioned anywhere to supply that?

What I think is, obviously the main applicant is earning more than 35k to be eligible for visa in the first place, so he must be staying somewhere.. and as this is the "dependant", so he/she will be staying/dependant on the main applicant, hence, they didn't bother asking for this or making this a mandatory document to be supplied.

neesh
United Kingdom

Post by neesh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 am

[quote="bubin123"]are you planning for in-country application for switching?[/quote]

No. She cant switch in her case. We are going to India to apply from there.

Any inputs on the questions i asked?

neesh
United Kingdom

Post by neesh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 am

[quote="hsyasin"][quote="neesh"]
Not really proof for my accommodation. But the general consensus is that people normally submit tenancy agreement as proof of accomodation of main applicant so that UKBA is convinced that the spouse has somewhere to stay. They may want to ensure dependents will be adequately housed without the need for applying for council housing. Hence the tenancy agreement[/quote]

Ok, so why havent they specifically mentioned anywhere to supply that?

What I think is, obviously the main applicant is earning more than 35k to be eligible for visa in the first place, so he must be staying somewhere.. and as this is the "dependant", so he/she will be staying/dependant on the main applicant, hence, they didn't bother asking for this or making this a mandatory document to be supplied.[/quote]

I dont know mate. But i am not going to jeopardize my application for some argument which (though is valid) i think have got more cons going against it than pros.

hsyasin

Post by hsyasin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 am

neesh wrote: No. She cant switch in her case. We are going to India to apply from there.

Any inputs on the questions i asked?
Ok neesh, this is what I think:

Question 1 - Do i need to show proof of subsisting relationship when she has been living with me for past 1 year (she came here with me just after marriage)

-- Yes, as she'll be making a fresh Tier1 dependent application.

Question 2 - As proof of her UK address, we have attached her bank statements and our tenancy agreement (which has both our names on it)

Are these enough? Or i need other evidences.

-- If you look at evidence to submit with the application, it doesn't say that u should also submit ur tenancy agreement as proof of accomodation.

-- As i said, no immediate requirement for either tenancy agreement or council tax bill, but no harm in attaching. But what i usually suggest to people is, don't get carried away while attaching docs, as it sometimes over complicates ur application. Just provide them with what they've asked.

Just read through this list and make sure that u attach what is asked in the list first and then afterwards, if u want to provide any additional docs, upto u:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... en-dep.pdf

hsyasin

Post by hsyasin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 am

this also, for a more detailed list:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... olicy1.pdf

neesh
United Kingdom

Post by neesh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:27 am

[quote="hsyasin"]this also, for a more detailed list:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... olicy1.pdf[/quote]

@hsyasin - thanks for your replies. very helpful.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 am

I don't believe that proof of suitable accommodation is required - anyway - how do you determine if it's suitable from a tenancy agreement or council tax document?
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

hsyasin

Post by hsyasin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:01 pm

mulderpf wrote: how do you determine if it's suitable from a tenancy agreement or council tax document?
M sorry, i didn't understand ur question

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 am

My spouse switched from T2(ICT) to T1(D) by going back to India.

We didn't submit any tenancy agreement. We submitted council-tax bills, not a requirement, still for two reasons - 1. to keep the case-worker happy 2. it is scrap after the month anyway.

So was the case of a friend's spouse.

jagankumar
India

Post by jagankumar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi t1s2010,
We are in similar situation as your yours. My wife is Tier4 Student visa and we gonna change it to Tier1(G) Dependant.

Am in UK for 3 years under Tier1 (G) visa valid until Jan 2014. My wife is in UK for 2.5 years under Tier4 Student Visa valid until Jan 2016. Our 6 months old daughter (UK Born) just got Indian Passport.
Am planning to apply my extension in Oct 2013 along with UK Born daughter application as dependant. Am planning to apply with the following documents,

1) Application Form for Main Applicant and Dependant(UK Born Child)
2) Passports of both parents and Dependant(UK Born Child)
3) BRP Card of Main Applicant
4) UK Born child Birth Certificate.
5) 12 Months Payslips
6) Employment Letter
7) P60
8) 12 Bank Statements to reflect the salary credit.
9) All the evidence provided during my initial application. (Degree Certificate, Degree taught in English, Birth Certificate)
10) Consent letter from my wife for baby's dependant application as Tier (G)
11) Bank Statements to prove fund maintenance for main applicant and dependant (UK Born Child) = (£900 + £600)
12) Photos

Once our Visa has been processed will apply Tier (G) dependant visa for my wife from India (Outside UK). And following documents
1) Application Form for Dependant Applicant
2) Passport of Dependant
3) Attested copy of Passport and BRP Card of Main Applicant.
4) Marriage Certificate. (Got married 3.5 years ago)
5) 6 Months Payslips
6) Main Applicants Employment Letter
7) 6 months Bank Statements to reflect the salary credit.
8) Covering letter to explain the genuine reason(To take break from studies for a year to take care of baby) for swtiching from Tier4 Student visa to Tier1 General.
9) Bank Statements to prove fund maintenance for Dependant applicant + dependant (UK Born Child) + main applicant = (£600 + £600 + £900)
10)Photos
11) My wife's UK bank statements and her Mobile motnhly bills to prove that she lived with me in UK for the past 2.5 years.

Also I have read in some thread dependant visa got rejected due to not provided the evidence of adequate accomodation. In our case we have living in our own mortgaged property for 1 year. Do we need to provide our property document as well? or Do we need to get soem sort of certificate from assessment officer?

Apart from the above if I miss anything or anything is wrong please let me know.

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

Post by hussainkothari » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Yes

If you can ask your council to send the bill again it will be great. Else tenancy agreement will also hold water.

I am not sure if you are aware, like the other pointed out you cannot switch from the UK. Your wife will have to go back to her home country to apply for a entry clearance.

Now also bear in mind that since last year a spouse has to complete 5 years in the relationship before they become eligible for ILR.

jagankumar
India

Post by jagankumar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Now also bear in mind that since last year a spouse has to complete 5 years in the relationship before they become eligible for ILR.
Does it mean spouse has to complete the relationship irrespective of their visa category?
Or they need to be in dependent visa for 5 years?

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi Jagan,

- From your document list, you pretty much seem up to date with details.
Once your wife switches to 'dependent category', her clock resets for ILR time eligibility.

- I don't have kids so can't comment or point out for you.

- For extension, if you keep submit photocopy with your application, caseworker won't need to do it. (not a requirement, but if you have time, get the photocopy yourself). Keep caseworker happy. I didn't.

- In all UK visa documents, I have always used 'highlight marker' to make caseworker's job easy e.g. entry of salary credit, date-of-statement, name-of-spouse on passport xerox and so on.

- (extension) pt#9, you don't need evidence from initial application. If you got points then, you will get now.

- (T1G-D), pt#3, you are doing correct. In addition, I had attested all documents which had any connection with me e.g. xerox of marriage-certificate, bank-statement in my name (original) and so on.

- (T1G-D), about relationship, I submitted signed photocopy of our marriage cert, our two india, two EU visit flight tickets photocopy and four color-printer 4 photos from London, EU (2 each on A4 size paper).

- (T1G-D), didn't submit much on 'staying together', her 3-months statement (address highlighted), two electricity payment reminder bills from last 4 months (original).

- pt#7, 'covering letter' means sponsorship letter. At India VFS, we didn't carry any so-called sponsorship letter and VFS lady asked for it. We wrote a quick A4 size, 5-liner letter saying 'Please give my wife a visa as she is my dependent'. So, better keep a 1-pager sponsorship letter on top.

Good luck.