ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

confusing news about how to caculate 5 years staying

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

firstime

confusing news about how to caculate 5 years staying

Post by firstime » Thu May 17, 2007 9:01 pm

I got some confused news- I emailed HO and ask if i should start to caculate my 5 years from the date of the endorsement was given on my passport.

A recap- i got my WP approved when I was in the UK and the date of approvement was June 2002. But my acturaly working day started in August 2002.

The email I got saying' you should caculate from the date you started to work for work permit employment' which means from August 2002.

But I was told by HO when calling them on the phone and other people the caculation should start from JUNE 2002....

Please help!! Has anyone recently been to HO in person to apply? Please help and wonder if which answer is right???

thanks

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu May 17, 2007 10:45 pm

First time, why were you already in the UK???

firstime

Post by firstime » Fri May 18, 2007 9:33 am

I was a student and got student visa..

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri May 18, 2007 9:35 am

Ok well you seem to have asked this question in a couple different locations, so I think you have your answer now?

firstime

Post by firstime » Fri May 18, 2007 9:55 am

Still confused and want to get some written answer from HO.. But how to get them to confirm this one is a bit tricky ..

maibesa
Newly Registered

Post by maibesa » Fri May 18, 2007 11:47 am

My work permit was granted on 19/04/02 but the visa was stamped in my passport on 11/06/02. When I tried to apply in April 2006 , PEO Solihull told me that they go by the stamp in the passport and not by the work permit letter hence I waited another year ,applied yesterday and paid the increased fee ( £950).

firstime

Post by firstime » Fri May 18, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks a lot !! And congrtulations too!! :)

Just wondering when did you acturally started working? Suppose it was sometime after your stamps on passport ? Did they ever check that?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri May 18, 2007 12:15 pm

In my opinion, you are getting different answers because you do not give each person the whole story and also refer to different things in each question you have asked. For instance in two separate threads you talk about the approval letter or date approved, the endorsement stamp, your actual start date. They are all different things so I wouldn't blame HO at making it complicated, you are making it complicated for yourself. And it would be better to stick to one thread.

(That is a hint to stick to this thread, the other thread is played out)

With the available information, in my opinion, your approval letter date is not the start date of your quallifying 5 year period. Your first day of work probably is the relevant date because you were already in the UK for a different purpose and once you began work in that new capacity, then that in of itself became its endorsement. If you were coming in for the first time, maybe the date of your WP sticker would be probative. For me, I don't even think that date is the right date either but more so the date the Immigration Officer would have stamped on the endorsement sticker upon entry into the country. As indicated from maibesa's post.
Again as you were already in the country that did not happen or at least you haven't informed us as such that this new sticker was stamped by an Immigration Officer.

This analysis is off the cuff and I could be completely wrong on how to calculate the start date but if you want to help yourself, you need to be really clear about your circumstances and the explain all the details behind it and not interchange terms for one another. As far as I can tell every answer given to you was the right answer based on the background you gave and how the question was phrased

firstime

Post by firstime » Fri May 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks for your analysis. I did phrase my words exactly the same when i was calling them and email them...

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 pm

You didn't phrase it and explain it to us the same way
And when you say you said it the exact way
What words did you say exactly in your query?