ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Problems with my language test

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mbf82
Newly Registered

Problems with my language test

Post by mbf82 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:59 am

Hi all,

I've searched both here and on other websites but I couldn't find an answer to my problem. I've also emailed the appropriate addressed for the home office but I haven't got an answer yet.

In 2007 I took a IELTS academic that I passed with 7.5. My understanding is that:
  1. IELTS (academic or general) is acceptable (it's in the list of tests accepted for naturalisation)
  2. An average of 7.5 with 6 as the worst score for a single part of the test is acceptable (it doesn't mention the points on the requirement booklet, but elsewhere I found that 4 is enough)
  3. The test is expired, but it doesn't matter for the home office
My problems are:
  1. The text was taken in my (European) home country and not in the UK. From the booklet I don't understand if the test must be taken in the UK or if the managing organisation of the test must be British (IELTS is managed by Cambridge Uni and British Council)
  2. The country of origin on the certificate is wrong. Instead of saying my real country it says “Afghanistan”. I was a mistake made by my University when filling the online registration form. I was told I couldn't change it without retaking the test.
What do you think? Is my test OK for naturalisation?

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Problems with my language test

Post by milan69 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:21 pm

As far as I know you must have a degree from UK university to be valud as English test.
I am sometimes wrong.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:12 pm

You could have used the IELTS if you had used it with an application before but due to the mistake, I wouldn't advise you to use it.
Best thing to do here is either do it again or seek for alternative proof which satisfies KoLL.

mbf82
Newly Registered

Post by mbf82 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 am

Suppose I can get the Biritsh Council to fix the mistake on my certificate (I will try emailing them). Would that certificate be valid?

I don't understand this part from the guide:
We will accept the following qualifications:
  • Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3,
    Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated
    by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The
    qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of
    Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern
    Ireland. The Ofqual register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/2
  • A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCQF) levels
    4, 5 or 6 awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
  • Qualifications or tests specified in the following table which is at a level equivalent
    to level B1 CEFR or above.
The first point says that the test must have been taken in England, the last point doesn't mention it.
Does it mean that a IELTS academic that I've obtained outside the UK is valid or not?

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:57 am

I dont know if you can get it corrected or not but why over complicate things when you can take the english test again with next to no effort - for example the Trinity test which takes less than 10 minutes. It does cost around £150 but compared to the thousands we all spend over the years on visa applications its nothing.
I would keep the application as simple as possible to get a quick and speedy outcome.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:17 am

mbf82 wrote:Suppose I can get the Biritsh Council to fix the mistake on my certificate (I will try emailing them). Would that certificate be valid?

I don't understand this part from the guide:
We will accept the following qualifications:
  • Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3,
    Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated
    by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The
    qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of
    Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern
    Ireland. The Ofqual register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/2
  • A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCQF) levels
    4, 5 or 6 awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
  • Qualifications or tests specified in the following table which is at a level equivalent
    to level B1 CEFR or above.
The first point says that the test must have been taken in England, the last point doesn't mention it.
Does it mean that a IELTS academic that I've obtained outside the UK is valid or not?
Any IELTS test is valid, regardless of having been taken on the UK or abroad. IELTS would meet the 3rd qualification option ("Qualifications or tests specified in the following table which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above.").

Not sure about the country of origin mistake, though. I'd email ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk questioning if they would accept such certificate or not.

mbf82
Newly Registered

Post by mbf82 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:55 pm

zeusmagnanimous wrote:I dont know if you can get it corrected or not but why over complicate things when you can take the english test again with next to no effort - for example the Trinity test which takes less than 10 minutes. It does cost around £150 but compared to the thousands we all spend over the years on visa applications its nothing.
I would keep the application as simple as possible to get a quick and speedy outcome.
I'm European, so I spend nothing on visa applications. Considering the money I'm spending on the application I would like to avoid spending more if not needed.
Hubba wrote: Any IELTS test is valid, regardless of having been taken on the UK or abroad. IELTS would meet the 3rd qualification option ("Qualifications or tests specified in the following table which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above.").
Cool, thanks.
Hubba wrote: Not sure about the country of origin mistake, though. I'd email ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk questioning if they would accept such certificate or not.
I've written to KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't received any answer yet.
I've written to ielts@britishcouncil.org to ask whether I can get the certificate fixed but the message gets rejected:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

ielts@britishcouncil.org
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.
Ops :?
I'll try again tomorrow.

badratio

Post by badratio » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:09 pm

Hubba is wrong.
Validity dates of ESOL qualifications listed in Appendix O of the Immigration Rules, or on the OFQUAL register, will not be applied for settlement applications, provided:
 the qualification has previously been accepted for another immigration application, or
 if it is being presented for the first time, that it was taken in: England and was regulated by OFQUAL
o Wales and was regulated by the Welsh government
o Northern Ireland and was regulated by the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations
and Assessment (CCEA), or
o Scotland and was regulated by the SQA.
Validity dates of SELT qualifications are not applicable to citizenship applications, as validity dates are not referred to in the regulations. However, qualifications taken in the UK must be have been regulated by OFQUAL, the Welsh government or CCEA, or if taken in Scotland, by the SQA.

Page 30. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0_EXT.pdf
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 pm

badratio wrote:Hubba is wrong.
Validity dates of ESOL qualifications listed in Appendix O of the Immigration Rules, or on the OFQUAL register, will not be applied for settlement applications, provided:
 the qualification has previously been accepted for another immigration application, or
 if it is being presented for the first time, that it was taken in: England and was regulated by OFQUAL
o Northern Ireland and was regulated by the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations
Validity dates of SELT qualifications are not applicable to citizenship applications, as validity dates are not referred to in the regulations. However, qualifications taken in the UK must be have been regulated by OFQUAL, the Welsh government or CCEA, or if taken in Scotland, by the SQA.

Page 30. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0_EXT.pdf
I'm sorry, mate, but you are wrong.

These requirements are only for SETTLEMENT. OP is applying for NATURALISATION, i.e. is already settled. The extract you've pointed out only specifies requirements for ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) which are an specific test category, to which the IELTS doesn't belong.

The IELTS belongs to the following item on the document you've pointed out:
A certificate from an approved English language test provider, showing they have passed an approved test. The certificate must also show:
o the applicant's name
o the qualification obtained
o they have reached B1 of the CEFR in speaking and listening or above, and
o the date of award.

From https://www.gov.uk/english-language:
If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted if it was one of the following:

previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual register
As shown above, such limitation is only for Settlement purposes. OP is already settled and applying for Naturalisation.

mbf82
Newly Registered

Post by mbf82 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:37 am

I called the British Council and they told me that, from their point of view, my certificate is expired, so they are not able to give me a fixed one.

I went to the only local school that accepts people not attending their schools for tests and they told me they that refuse to allow people to take tests if the test is needed for official government purposes. WTF?
I think that they may be confusing tests for visas and test for naturalisations.

Suggestions?

mbf82
Newly Registered

Post by mbf82 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:38 pm

I've decided to go for englishexamcentres.co.uk as it seems the quickest way to pass an exam and get the certificate.

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:49 pm

mbf82 wrote:I've decided to go for englishexamcentres.co.uk as it seems the quickest way to pass an exam and get the certificate.
This is exactly the one I suggested two days ago - feeling smug :D