ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

If you use NCS do they give you your passport back same day?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bryce
Newly Registered
New Zealand

If you use NCS do they give you your passport back same day?

Post by Bryce » Fri May 22, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi, I have no idea for the best board to post this in so I'll try a new topic.

I'm an NZ national with ILR from ancestry, since March 2013. I'm looking to apply for citizenship now BUT am going travelling for 5 weeks from 23 August, so I'm nervous about the timeline (leaves only 3 months). However it says online (https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ng-service) that "The local authority will ensure that your form is correctly completed, and they will copy your documents and return them to you."

Q1: Does that mean the validate your passport, photocopy it and give it back the same day? If so, then I guess I would be okay to travel even if the application drags out. Except…
Q2: If the ceremony date is then set for while I'm abroad, would I be able to request to attend a different one, or would that invalidate my application if I can't attend the date they set?

Worst case scenario I can do my application after coming back from travelling but thought I'd ask this to assess what to do.

Thanks

BVG.

noajthan

Re: If you use NCS do they give you your passport back same

Post by noajthan » Fri May 22, 2015 7:16 pm

Q1 Yes - NCS copies & returns all your docs including passport.

Shop around in your local area, the charge at different councils can vary.

Q2 Yes - the ceremony can be rescheduled.

Note: there is a timelimit in which to attend a ceremony, I think its 90 days after notification - you certainly can't put it off forever.

If you're away it is advisable to have someone monitoring & opening your mail in order to catch the official letter (& in case there are any follow up queries).

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:03 pm

There is also the new requirement to submit your biometric enrollment at the Post Office once you receive the letter from Home Office to do this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bryce
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Bryce » Sat May 23, 2015 3:28 pm

Thank you!

tfirth
Newly Registered

Post by tfirth » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:12 am

noajthan wrote:Q1 Yes - NCS copies & returns all your docs including passport.

Shop around in your local area, the charge at different councils can vary.

Q2 Yes - the ceremony can be rescheduled.

Note: there is a timelimit in which to attend a ceremony, I think its 90 days after notification - you certainly can't put it off forever.

If you're away it is advisable to have someone monitoring & opening your mail in order to catch the official letter (& in case there are any follow up queries).

Good luck.
Do they also take a copy of your BRP and return the original at the NCS appointment?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:26 am

tfirth wrote:Do they also take a copy of your BRP and return the original at the NCS appointment?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.