ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship Association Time Scale

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HarryBanks
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish Citizenship Association Time Scale

Post by HarryBanks » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:34 pm

Hello Everyone,
Been living in Ireland for just over 3 years and thinking about applying for Irish citizenship through association as my great grandparents were born in Ireland, does anyone know how long it takes and if it would be approved?
Thanks
Harry

alhakeem
Ireland

Re: Irish Citizenship Association Time Scale

Post by alhakeem » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:42 am

Hi Hary, I dont think you need to apply for citizenship by naturalisation..If your great grandparents born in Ireland they are Irish and you are entitled to Irish citizenship by descent..but you need to register your birth at the FBR.Please correct me if I am wrong

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 am

alhakeem wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:42 am
Hi Hary, I dont think you need to apply for citizenship by naturalisation..If your great grandparents born in Ireland they are Irish and you are entitled to Irish citizenship by descent..but you need to register your birth at the FBR.Please correct me if I am wrong
That's incorrect. The OP is entitled to Irish citizenship only if their grandparents were born in Ireland, not their great grandparents.

alhakeem
Ireland

Post by alhakeem » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:31 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 am
alhakeem wrote:
That's incorrect. The OP is entitled to Irish citizenship only if their grandparents were born in Ireland, not their great grandparents.
I dont know what do you mean by OP, but it is clearly mentioned in the citizenship guide, check the table, he represents E and his great grandparents A, then E is entitled to Irish citizenship, with conditions explained( that parents were registered in the FBR, and practically, I assume, this may not be the case as if his parents were registered in FBR at time of his birth he would't seek the greatgrand parents and he will apply directly through his Irish parents by descent
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-cont ... -Guide.pdf

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:35 pm

alhakeem wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:31 pm
littlerr wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 am
alhakeem wrote:
I dont know what do you mean by OP, but it is clearly mentioned in the citizenship guide, check the table, he represents E and his great grandparents A, then E is entitled to Irish citizenship, with conditions explained( that parents were registered in the FBR, and practically, I assume, this may not be the case as if his parents were registered in FBR at time of his birth he would't seek the greatgrand parents and he will apply directly through his Irish parents by descent
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-cont ... -Guide.pdf
OP means Original Poster. And Row E clearly says the OP is entitled to citizenship if and only if their parents were registered with FBR (which as you mentioned is unlikely to be the case).