ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Penality points driving license - irish citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

linguiniheli
Newly Registered
Ireland

Penality points driving license - irish citizenship

Post by linguiniheli » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:15 pm

Hi guys, could you give me some advice please.
Im an EU national applying for Irish citizenship.

I applied for Irish Citizenship in April 2023. At the time I had 3 penalty points + 3 penalty points both for speeding (2 occasions one in 2020, the latest in 2021). At the time, I paid both fines straight away and that was it. One of them has already been cleared as it’s been over 3 years this May.

When I sent my citizenship application, I sent an email from the garda bureau confirming I paid my fines
My solicitor recommended me to tick both boxes yes for both questions (below) as I paid the fines, which I did:

11.1 Have you ever committed any offences against the laws of Ireland or any overseas country?

(…)

11.3 Do you have any convictions in the matter State or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgments made against you?

———-

I received the acknowledgment letter on the 29th May but never got the garda vetting form to fill (NVB1a) to complete or anything similar.

I’m wondering if due to my penalty points, my application will likely be rejected, as I read this on the official Schengen website about irish citizenship application :

« You must have a clear criminal record, no driving offences, no pending criminal cases, and no ongoing investigations.« 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/h ... u-country/

Many thanks for any advice

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Penality points driving license - irish citizenship

Post by littlerr » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:18 pm

Whether your application will be approved depends on how serious the offences are and how many offences have been committed by the applicant. If you sped within 10% there is usually no problem whatsoever. However, if you sped over 100% there is a high chance that your application will be refused. The minister herself has the full discretion on determining whether the offence is serious or not.

linguiniheli
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by linguiniheli » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:39 pm

Thanks for your reply.

They were both minor offences. 67km/h on a 60 zone and 64km on a 50km/h zone. But I am still quite concerned to be fair. Do you think the fact I didn’t receive the form for the garda vetting after the acknowledgment letter could be linked?

rajqo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by rajqo » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:52 pm

I don't think so having penalty points is an issue. Once paid on time and settled shouldn't be any problem. The issue could be if this unpaid penalty would go to court

sv23367

Post by sv23367 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:34 am

in any case, accepting or rejecting ur case will happen after evetting and further decision by the minister. you should wait for evetting. they wont reject before evetting.

linguiniheli wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:15 pm
Hi guys, could you give me some advice please.
Im an EU national applying for Irish citizenship.

I applied for Irish Citizenship in April 2023. At the time I had 3 penalty points + 3 penalty points both for speeding (2 occasions one in 2020, the latest in 2021). At the time, I paid both fines straight away and that was it. One of them has already been cleared as it’s been over 3 years this May.

When I sent my citizenship application, I sent an email from the garda bureau confirming I paid my fines
My solicitor recommended me to tick both boxes yes for both questions (below) as I paid the fines, which I did:

11.1 Have you ever committed any offences against the laws of Ireland or any overseas country?

(…)

11.3 Do you have any convictions in the matter State or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgments made against you?

———-

I received the acknowledgment letter on the 29th May but never got the garda vetting form to fill (NVB1a) to complete or anything similar.

I’m wondering if due to my penalty points, my application will likely be rejected, as I read this on the official Schengen website about irish citizenship application :

« You must have a clear criminal record, no driving offences, no pending criminal cases, and no ongoing investigations.« 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/h ... u-country/

Many thanks for any advice

Mycalmo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mycalmo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:11 pm

I had one penalty points and two parking fines and I got approved three weeks ago .

As long as you paid the fine and declared it . I know many many people who had points and they got approved .

As long as you mention it. They just want honesty .

What will delay or deem your application ineligible is if u have a court case, haven’t declared any crimes committed etc.

Nduja
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Nduja » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:59 pm

Mycalmo wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:11 pm
I had one penalty points and two parking fines and I got approved three weeks ago .
Parking fines?? They’re civil matter surely. And no way will I be able to remember a parking fine from years ago 😬

tmarkand
Newly Registered
India

Post by tmarkand » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:29 am

Mycalmo wrote:

As long as you paid the fine and declared it . I know many many people who had points and they got approved .

What will delay or deem your application ineligible is if u have a court case, haven’t declared any crimes committed etc.
What documents did you provide regarding offences with the citizenship application.? I too have penalty points 3, for speeding at 90km/h in 80km/h zone. I received letter from fixed charge processing office regarding offense. Can i just attach a copy of that?

ackk
Ireland

Post by ackk » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:58 am

tmarkand wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:29 am
Mycalmo wrote:

What documents did you provide regarding offences with the citizenship application.? I too have penalty points 3, for speeding at 90km/h in 80km/h zone. I received letter from fixed charge processing office regarding offense. Can i just attach a copy of that?
Yes, Attach a copy of that and also your payment receipt showing you paid the fine.

tmarkand
Newly Registered
India

Post by tmarkand » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:02 am

ackk wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:58 am
Yes, Attach a copy of that and also your payment receipt showing you paid the fine.
Thank you for your reply!

I paid the fine at AnPost, and I might not have the receipt retained that I got after payment (160 euros) now. But, I can show the bank transaction where 160 euros are deducted. Will that be fine?
Is there a way I can request Fixed Charge Processing Office to provide me with a letter that states both offense and payment being made.? Any suggestions.

ackk
Ireland

Post by ackk » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:16 am

tmarkand wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:02 am
ackk wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:58 am
Thank you for your reply!

I paid the fine at AnPost, and I might not have the receipt retained that I got after payment (160 euros) now. But, I can show the bank transaction where 160 euros are deducted. Will that be fine?
Is there a way I can request Fixed Charge Processing Office to provide me with a letter that states both offense and payment being made.? Any suggestions.
Yes, You can include your bank transaction as proof of payment and this should be fine.