ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Official day of naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Brizza007
Newly Registered
Scotland

Official day of naturalisation

Post by Brizza007 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:29 pm

Greetings all!

I am a German citizen who has been living in the UK for just under 7 years, with about 1.5 years as Settled Status. Thus, I have fulfilled the criteria to apply for UK naturalisation. However, German law currently requires one to renounce German citizenship when naturalising outside the EU, though a new law has been recently passed through the German parliament allowing us to have multiple citizenships, and is expected to go into effect sometime in the next few months, most likely in May 2024.

Given the timelines it is taking to get UK citizenship approval, I am considering now already applying, as the German law should be changed by the time I would get approval.

Question is, what does the UK legally/officially see as the day of naturalisation? Is it 1) the day that I put my application in, 2) the day that it is approved by the Home Office or 3) the day that I do my citizenship ceremony? Which of the above days is listed on the naturalisation certificate as the day of naturalisation?

I don't want there to be some type of misunderstanding in the day I actually become naturalised and end up accidentally losing my German citizenship because it is granted before German law changes. My hope is that it is the citizenship ceremony day and if my application is approved earlier for whatever reason, I could just delay my ceremony until Germany changes its law.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Official day of naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:36 pm

3) the day that I do my citizenship ceremony?
This is the day you become British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:39 pm

Brizza007 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:29 pm
and if my application is approved earlier for whatever reason, I could just delay my ceremony until Germany changes its law.
AFAIK if you don't attend your ceremony within 3 months once approved, you lose the fee paid and have to start all over again.

Thread carefully.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Brizza007
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Brizza007 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:44 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:36 pm
3) the day that I do my citizenship ceremony?
This is the day you become British.
Thank you for your very quick reply. Another question, am I allowed to delay my citizenship ceremony in the off-chance that I get approved before German law changes, and if so, how long am I allowed to delay it for?

Also, once approved, is there any way to withdraw my application? That is in the extremely unlikely off-chance that the German law ends up not getting passed, I would rather keep my German citizenship and just continue living here with Settled Status. I realise I would lose the £1000+ for the application itself.

Thanks again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:22 pm

You have 90 days to attend ceremony.

No need to withdraw, just simply dont attend the ceremony. You dont get a refund though.

Why not simply wait till the law changes and then apply for british citizenship? Save all the what ifs!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:27 pm

Why don’t you just wait until the law is actually on the statute book?
It’s taken decades to change the German law so a few more months wait for peace of mind isn’t so bad.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:00 pm

3 - the ceremony day.... something you will get up to 90 days to book after decision to approve British citizenship.

What we do know is that straightforward applications seem to be taking around 3.5 months to be approved.

As others suggest I'd really be tempted to wait until the law changes in Germany... without looking in detail it's generally true that legal changes can face delays or barriers... I would not want that hanging around my neck until it is in law unless there are exceptionally compelling reasons applying now is necessary.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:39 pm

I'd say it's not worth the hassle to apply now, wait until this becomes official law. You have settled status, you won't lose any rights by staying on it. You can start putting your materials together and apply once it is official. It is after all an expensive application and a relatively stressful process to go through, no need for the extra stress.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:18 am

You want to apply on the belief that it becomes official from Germany by May based on your belief that UK naturalisation takes certain time....there are variables you can not account for.
Simply wait ✋️.

Brizza007
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Brizza007 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:16 am

Thanks to all who have responded. Maybe I'm being a bit too eager in applying and as you all have said, it's probably best to wait.

I live on the Isle of Man, so I have to apply via the paper form, which talking with others on the Island, seems to be taking at least 6 months, rather than the 3-4 months taking across in the UK, so I guess I was attempting to shorten this a bit.

But I've been swayed, I've waited this long, I might as well wait until it's official. I think I was just excited about finally being able to naturalise, something that given Germany's historic stance on multiple citizenship, I didn't think was much of a possibility.

Thanks again for all the input! :)

Darejames
Germany

Post by Darejames » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:09 pm

@Brizza007... you are very lucky to have these thoughtful advisers and contributors here...ALL the people who have given you the advice are wise enough counselors...and I am really happy that you hid the advice given..You see my friend I was in the same boat as you a few weeks back and I am very lucky because of this site and the knowledgeable volunteers... Just wait and you will be fine and happy