ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residence - Renewal Date Expiry on Document

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix

Jam1er
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Permanent Residence - Renewal Date Expiry on Document

Post by Jam1er » Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:29 pm

I’m looking to try and get some info due to so many conflicting avenues on the government website.

My partner has lived in the uk for 17 years. Originally from South Africa. There is a paper document within her passport stated permanent residence. However the document has a renewal date which has expired.

She has recently been advised she no long has the right to work in the uk and has lost her job. Can anyone give advise on what’s required and what processes there are.
Thanks in advance

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Permanent Residence - Renewal Date Expiry on Document

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:37 pm

Did she have ILR under UK immigration or PR under EU regulations?
Perhaps you could quote the data/text of that document.
Note that around 2015 BRP cards became mandatory and holders of other forms of proof needed to obtain the BRP card, certainly for providing proof of residency and right to work.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:03 am

Jam1er wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:29 pm
I’m looking to try and get some info due to so many conflicting avenues on the government website.

My partner has lived in the uk for 17 years. Originally from South Africa. There is a paper document within her passport stated permanent residence. However the document has a renewal date which has expired.

She has recently been advised she no long has the right to work in the uk and has lost her job. Can anyone give advise on what’s required and what processes there are.
Thanks in advance
It is a switch from the vignette sticker on her passport to BRP that is required and accepted by employers.
Now is a transition period from said BRP to evisa system.

Jam1er
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jam1er » Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:29 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:37 pm
Note that around 2015 BRP cards became mandatory and holders of other forms of proof needed to obtain the BRP card, certainly for providing proof of residency and right to work.
alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:37 pm
She came over under EU regulations.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:32 pm

None of the old EU residence cards (issued under the old EEA regulations) have any legal value, given the UK left the EU in 2021. She must have applied under the EU settlement scheme before the deadline in 2022 and secured settled status under UK immigration rules. She does not have any lawful residence in the UK now and I assume she is staying here unlawfully. No EU residence card has any legal value, even if it has not expired yet.

There have been reports of cases like this before: eea-route-applications/permanent-reside ... 40971.html
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice